Thread: compressor

compressor

will a compressor pump down with a bad discharge valve in the compressor

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    will a compressor pump down with a bad discharge valve in the compressor
    I vote YES
    Provided you can isolate it.

Maybe but why would you want to? If you're going to replace the compressor or the whole condensing unit what's the point?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

I will test a compressors ability by trying to pump down the system. A slow pump down is a strong indicator that the valves are failing. My vote is that it is not likely a compressor will be able to pump down with a damaged Discharge valve.

I was out on a trane heat pump that had a stuck reversing valve I wacked it a few times and cycled the the defrost and got it to unstick but still had high suction and low discharge had a 23 degree difference in the dischrarge from the inlet discharge temp to the outlet discharge temp and a 8 degree on the suction in and out of the rv although my pressures were about the same.I switched to cool mode and tried to pump the unit down and it would only pump down to 50 psi but when I shut off the compressor the pressure stayed the suction or discharge pressure did not go up I thought it was not pumping down due to a leaking rv valve ,I condemned the rv valve but one I'm second guessing my diagnostic.

I guess you'll find out, you should have changed the compressor after you replace the RV!

I'm sure the rv is not working properly orbit would not have been stuck the unit s a 2.5 ton trane 10 seer from 2004 with a old furnace I tried to get them to replace the complete system but they want it fixed if they have to put a compressor also they will wish they had replaced the system because I do not beleive there is any warrant left on the compressor

2004? That's like brand new to me!
    I'd disconnect the fan motor in cooling mode and listen carefully where the bypass is going on.