Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home owner only

What are you looking for when replacing your heating system.Savings in installion or long term savings,(in the form of high efficency)you really can't have both. Long term service warrenty or taking your chances with break downs.My intrest ,is to bring to my customer the best possible package.You my say ask them ,more often then not, they have not taken the time or intrest wanting the contractor to make the desision for them.

Originally posted by Big
    What are you looking for when replacing your heating system.Savings in installion or long term savings,(in the form of high efficency)you really can't have both. Long term service warrenty or taking your chances with break downs.My intrest ,is to bring to my customer the best possible package.You my say ask them ,more often then not, they have not taken the time or intrest wanting the contractor to make the desision for them.
    You say I can't have both low price and long term savings, but that's what I want. I would buy the system that would show the best payback numbers. I'm not a bells and whistles kind of guy.

I don't like extended warranties of any kind. Usually they are a bad deal for me and extra profit for the dealer. However, some people do love them and feel more secure with one. It's an individual thing that you will have to get a read on.

I think it's great that you can offer the extended warranty to your customers who want it. If you try too hard to push it on me I'd be showing you the door pretty quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------

I look for noticeable spelling errors and the correct use of the words in the english language.

warrenty
    intrest
    more often then not
    desision

More often than not , if I wrote up an estimate for a customer with simple spelling errors , it wouldnt make me look very bright

for some reason the homeowners are not responding to this post.maybe the misspellings are scaring them off.i dont see why you cant offer your customers high efficiency equipment and still offer a good warranty.with a proper installation giving a labor warranty along with the manufacturers warranty is my normal procedure. ct2 you missed installion and efficency.

Responding as a homeowner.

Every customer wants the best quality,efficiency,warranty and service at the lowest price around. When you figure out how to do this without stealing your equipment and forging warranties, let me know as we're gonna be filthy rich!!!!
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

As a homeowner I've changed over the years. When I installed my forced air system about 5 years ago, I had no idea about anything (still don't but know a lot more) and just said "How much does it cost to install a system?" The guy installed it, and I hate it. First of all, it wasn't installed properly, but that's another story. So I recently changed over to baseboard and radiant heat for a few zones.

Now if I were to do it again, i would get a high effiency system, definately variable speed, maybe one unit instead of the two i have now for a total of 1500 sf house! One floor is 700sf the other is 800sf. I'd get the works. Automated everything to be as comfortable and efficient as possible. Maybe a whole house in floor radiant. I'd even look into geothermal. I'd also insulate the heck out of the house with the proper insulation (another mistake that I've made was using fiberglass batts alone).

The more I learn, the more I want a QUALIFIED pro to do the job and the best/most efficient equipment I can get. Now I'm bringing people in to "fix" problems the other guys left. It's definately worth doing it right the first time.

Anyway, homeowner's needs and wants tend to change over time just like mine did. Five years ago I would not have wanted all the above, but now I would do it. I would suggest you ask the HO if they want details of everything. I wish someone would have explained to me what was going on and what my options were. Some HO's won't want to hear it, but some will and THEY are the ones who'll end up getting the right install in their home.

thanks for asking.

If every home owner wanted the same thing, there wouldn't be choices.

Some are up front price only, others are cost of operation.

You have to determine which when your talking to your customer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We are in the Walmart economy era. Why don't you think this would not apply to HVAC?

I had to put 128 billable hours last 8 days, my boss tells me yeah take a day off ( read I'll be payed for 40 hours )

Middle class is rapidly disapearing...

>Savings in installion or long term savings,(in the form of high efficency)you really can't have both.

Let me strongly disagree with that. Find somebody who knows what he is doing, and stay on his ass.

I paid good money for a system on my old house - got a hack, whose been hacking for 30 years, Nate certified, etc etc etc.

New house Airtron H&C, more hacks.

My personal experience HVAC is no different from any other construction groups. If you are ignorant - expect poor quality, If it is $XXXX or $XXXXX.

Knowing whats involved, and just been upfront with installer about your expectations.

>>>edit...

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by Jultzya on 03-07-2006 at 12:27 AM]

Sorry Jeffshvac I should have used spell check,next time promise.My intrest is only to connect with the average homeowner.Please fell free to stop by my web site XXXXXXXXXXX or you can vist it on XXXXXXXXXX, We are local by zip code 19063. Even you may be impressed. I to believe that ones vocabulary reflects one intellect

>>>edit... please put web address in your profile.

Site Rules

[Edited by Jultzya on 03-07-2006 at 12:33 AM]

I tend to look at the question starting not from a cost/warranty standpoint, but rather from the functional aspect. My point is, if I'm buying a heating system, then the top decision-making variable is WILL IT KEEP MY FAMILY COMFORTABLE? Given several systems to choose from that meet that basic requirement, I can apply the other criteria -- quality of the install, cost, long-term maintenance expectations, etc.

The expected quality of the install is my 2nd priority. I get REALLY upset with poor workmanship. I am a perfectionist, I admit it. Sure, sometimes I offend a "professional" by pointing out differences between what the installation guide says to do and what they actually did. But its MY family's safety at stake, not theirs, so I ask the questions.

Browntigerus,WE do go the extra mile,for our customers.Every job is a master piece,but when we some highly recomended,I hear you are $xxx more,and we'll take the chance with the other guy,hes new in the business and is looking to make an impression. A lot of times we go back and fix the problems. But the customer still gets burnt,pay extra for less.

Quality versus Efficiency or Warranty

I prefer savings on installation, fewer features/lower efficiency, but quality. The saleslady knew I wanted Trane and I was debating about 80 vs 90 afue. She suggested Variable Speed 80 afue (XV80) instead of an XB90 as a better return on investment. So I compromised. I'm glad I did ! I did not opt for an extended warranty.

After reading HVAC Talk, I'm glad I didn't buy a builder grade Trane, although those are probably better than some brands. If I have to choose between warranty or quality, I choose quality every time. I got a Trane XV80 installed for the same price as another company was offering for a builder's model Bryant.

I like high efficiency. Consumer Reports speculated that 90afue furnaces might be less reliable than 80 afue units. Unfortunately, I delayed my furnace purchase. I was in a hurry and decided to pay cash rather than finance. As a result, I picked an 80 afue unit. Using the HVAC investor last week, I realized if I had financed but possibly paid the balance early, I could have saved money with 90 afue.

However, if I were selling my house and the purchaser wanted "a new furnace", I would not hesitate to have a Goodman (or whatever was lower cost) installed. This is why in 2003, when my home inspector said I should request a new furnace as part of the house deal, I said "No".

Unfortunately, many homeowners don't become knowledgeable until AFTER the equipment is installed. See the HVAC Talk "Did I buy the wrong furnace" by jeffw_00 (As The Furnace Turns soap opera) thread.

After reading HVAC Talk, when I get AC, I might want a company with installers with better knowledge etc.... than the company who installed my furnace. But, it is a RARE customer that actually talks to the installer who might be doing the work. (I have talked with an installer of a company regarding AC). This is one reason why the customers know that regardless of the knowledge of the salesperson, a lot depends on the actual installer, who they usually don't talk to until the purchase has been completed. Choosing by price alone can be a terrible mistake.

One professional (I forgot his username) on HVAC Talk said he would avoid any HVAC company that employs salespeople. I do believe that installers etc can be VERY good at selling the benefits of the various systems.

I highly recommend that potential buyers use HVAC Investor. This shows the difference for higher efficiency for a person's exact climate and bid prices for various systems. The customer (like myself) may remember his or her and friends prior experiences with brands / quality and also install companies.

See my complete furnace experience response on page 1 of "goodman vs trane" thread started 3/03/06 by bobb820.

Originally posted by ct2

---------------------------------------------------------

I look for noticeable spelling errors and the correct use of the words in the english language.

warrenty
    intrest
    more often then not
    desision

More often than not , if I wrote up an estimate for a customer with simple spelling errors , it wouldnt make me look very bright

Wouldn't
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast