Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane TCONT803 auto system selection

Will this thermostat switch between heat and cool automatically.
    When I switched to heat manually the heat came on but it did not do it automatically. The inside temperature was the same as the heat set to temperature..

It has

to be programmed in the installers set-up to do that.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

Quote Originally Posted by howserss View Post
    Will this thermostat switch between heat and cool automatically.
    When I switched to heat manually the heat came on but it did not do it automatically. The inside temperature was the same as the heat set to temperature..
    I would not set it up for auto changeover unless you set up the outdoor system for low ambient control.

I just checked the installer setup option 300 (changeover) is set to 0, which is manual changeover. How do I tell if the outdor unit is set to low ambient temperature. The installer went over the dip switch settings with me and I have them all circled in the manual they left.

Here are the settings

Here are my Air Handler settings.
    S1-Outdoor
    ---------------
    S1-1 On
    S1-2 Off
    S1-3 Off
    S1-4 On (2 stages)
    S1-5 Off (1 Compressor)

s2-Indoor
    --------------
    Cooling CFM 390, Heating CFM 420
    s2-1 on
    s2-2 on
    s2-3 on (Enhanced)
    s2-4 on (Enhanced)
    s2-5 on (Constant CFM)

You would need to install a low ambient kit on the outdoor unit that would allow the unit to run when the outdoor temperature is bellow 55 degrees.

Thanks, I put a call into my installer to see what they have to say about this. At least now I can converse intelligently with them about it. Are those kits pricy to have installed?

OK so the more I think about this the less I understand it.
    Are you saying my outdoor unit will not run when the outdoor temp is below 55 degrees without this kit? Does this mean my heat would not work when the temp outside is below 55?

Auto change over on the thermostat will allow the system to change from heating to cooling automatically. Your ac system is designed to operate with an outside ambient temperature of 55 degrees from the factory.

If the setup on the stat is enabled and during temperatures bellow 55 the air conditioner will come on. Not a good thing to have happen.
    Rarely is it a function that needs to be enabled.

Are you saying having changeover enabled is not good to do?

That would be correct unless there was a low ambient controls installed in the outdoor unit.

I just spoke with the salesman, he said they usually dont put those on residence down here. It's not likely we would have the air on when it is 55 or below out. He said they installed one on a comercial application about 4 years ago but none since. If I have this set to auto changeover I really dont think the temp in the house will be at the temp to make the air come on if it gets below 55 degrees out. I never set the heat to above 73 degrees in the house, that was with my old electric heat. Would this void my warrantty if I just turn it on and something happens.

It should not be likely to need to run the ac when it is bellow 55 but what if you have the Tstat set to auto and the ac comes on and you loose the compressor, would it be worth leaving in auto?

Probably not. I think for now I will just leave it on manual changeover.
    If, in the future, I did get the low ambient control installed will that allow it to run below 55 degrees or stop it from running below 55 degrees? I guess the way I understand it, it will allow it to run in below 55 degree weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast