Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Actuarial View Post
    What I'm wondering is if this is a universal model or an exact match to this furnace. The reason I ask is because he did some splicing as part of the replacement.
    Suggest to your service tech to get him a good Molex pin extractor, and he won't be having to do any splicing in the future, he can use the original Molex plug.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

nah, he owns the company, and only other employee is his son who helps out a bit, so he doesn't have to justify anything to anyone. like i said, i have no doubts that the parts cost was standard... and i certainly have no beef about the great deal i got for the service. just wanted to know whether that's the best part to buy for a spare if I decide to get one, which you answered. thanks for that.

that is an old furnace. hope he checked the heat exchanger on that puppy. did he pull any limits out and inspect the heat exchanger or look up the burners? or a combustion test?

i'm not really sure whether he did any of that. I was going back and forth between looking through the owner's manual & parts list, watching & talking to him, & watching football... so i wasn't watching everything he did.

he did tell me that furnaces should last 20-30 years, and that i shouldn't really need to replace mine until something really big breaks, like the heat exchanger. anything smaller like ignitor, sensors, thermocouple, etc, then it's worth it to do the repair.

anyway, speaking of furnace replacements, i'd like to know some info about this model for when i might have to shop for a new one. anyone know where i could find the efficiency info for this model? or know what the AFUE rating is for this model? based on the 1992 efficiency law, and what i've read to be average efficiencies during the mid-90's, i'm assuming it's somewhere in the low- to mid-80's for AFUE. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Actuarial View Post
    He did tell me that furnaces should last 20-30 years, and that i shouldn't really need to replace mine until something really big breaks, like the heat exchanger.
    The only place I would keep a "gas" furnace in my home for 30 years would be if I lived on the sun.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12