+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eager to learn industrial refrigeration

Post Likes

eager to learn industrial refrigeration

Hey there, looking for some advice. ive been in this trade for about 4 years now, im 23 years young ive been working on mainly commercial a/c and refrigeration equipment, reach in coolers and walk in boxes, a/c up to about 50 tons. not being cocky in anyway but id rather keep learning and picking my brain. a few cooling towers. but i really want to get more into the industrial refrigeration. i hear the other techs talking about rack refrigeration,refrigeration for medicines. ice rooms, refrigeration for these large farms and the more technical shhhh. im in the low 20's now. i know ill take a paycut switching to a new company. ill even go down to probably a helpers scale. if its going to pay off. do you think i have a chance getting into some industrial refrigeration company or do they usually only higher more of the older techs with 15+ years experience. by the way im in miami,Fl.

Post Likes

its all the same

Just bigger nuts. Dont be intimadated. Company's like young go getters as they can beat you up a little. Us old guys are to grummpy and set in our ways.

Post Likes
    I grew up in this field with my grandpa teaching me how and giving me the opportunity to teach myself along way. One route you might consider is getting on in the service department for a major chain grocery store in your area. Some offer training others it's trial by fire. I tend to learn better reading service manuals and trial by fire method. But it's something to consider. FYI I'm not all that old only 33 and learn something new everyday. That's why I love this field I'm not stuck in a office and it's something new every day.

Post Likes
    One of the guys I work with had this to say "refrigeration is refrigeration. The compressor sucks and farts"

Post Likes
    Check out www.sourcerefrigeration.com This company has 30 branches and 1000 employees mostly in the western states, they do mostly supermarket rack refrigeration and they recently opened a branch in Florida. Also check out www.reta.com www.nttinc.com www.rses.org also you have enough posts apply for pro membership there is a lot of training on this site for pro members! RETA is the Refrigeration Engineers and Technicians Association. These are the big Industrial Ammonia Guys.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    I have been working as an Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Technician for a long time. And the advice that was given to me when I was asking the same questions that you are was;

1) Check into going to Garden City, Kansas and enroling in the Garden City Ammonia Program (Operator 1 Course)
    2) While your in Garden City, KS apply to take the R.E.T.A. CARO (Certified Assistant Refrigeration Operator) Test. Dont worry the Operator 1 Course at GCAP will get you more than prepared to take the R.E.T.A. CARO Test.
    3) Get as much expirence with Ammonia (R717) as you possibly can. It wont be easy since you dont have very much expirence with Ammonia as of late. But to say that you will take a pay cut is not necessarly correct. Industrial Refrigeration Techs make more money than Residential and Commerical Techs. Trust me.

Making the choice to move into the Industrial Refrigeration Field is a very rewarding choice. But beware as the new guy you'll end up doing all the "crap jobs", such as cleaning out the Condensers, Changing the Coalescers and pretty much anything that will cause you to have to smell Ammonia. But dont get discouraged all Ammonia Technicians start out this way and most of the vets still have to do the "crap" jobs. Trust me, I know...

Please feel free to email me with any questions reguarding how to get into the Ammonia business or what type of other certifications would help benefit you, or just random question about Ammonia Refrigerated Systems.

Thanks,
    -Chris

Post Likes
    [

Are you suuuure ind refer guys make more than comm hvac guys???

QUOTE=Nh3 Refrigeration Tech;14176161]I have been working as an Industrial Ammonia Refrigeration Technician for a long time. And the advice that was given to me when I was asking the same questions that you are was;

1) Check into going to Garden City, Kansas and enroling in the Garden City Ammonia Program (Operator 1 Course)
    2) While your in Garden City, KS apply to take the R.E.T.A. CARO (Certified Assistant Refrigeration Operator) Test. Dont worry the Operator 1 Course at GCAP will get you more than prepared to take the R.E.T.A. CARO Test.
    3) Get as much expirence with Ammonia (R717) as you possibly can. It wont be easy since you dont have very much expirence with Ammonia as of late. But to say that you will take a pay cut is not necessarly correct. Industrial Refrigeration Techs make more money than Residential and Commerical Techs. Trust me.

Making the choice to move into the Industrial Refrigeration Field is a very rewarding choice. But beware as the new guy you'll end up doing all the "crap jobs", such as cleaning out the Condensers, Changing the Coalescers and pretty much anything that will cause you to have to smell Ammonia. But dont get discouraged all Ammonia Technicians start out this way and most of the vets still have to do the "crap" jobs. Trust me, I know...

Please feel free to email me with any questions reguarding how to get into the Ammonia business or what type of other certifications would help benefit you, or just random question about Ammonia Refrigerated Systems.

Thanks,
    -Chris[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=supertek65;14177191][

Are you suuurre the dont make more money¿¿¿¿¿¿¿&#1 91;

>>>>¥¥¥¿¿&#19 1;¿¿¿¿¿lol :-P

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Post Likes
    Check ammoniatraining.org out. They look like a nice place to train at. Lanier Tech is near me that looks pretty good as well. Good luck to you.v

JASON sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    [

I'm positive.

Post Likes
    Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs. Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Techs that are worth their salt travel world wide and are no where paid what they are worth. Travel, Travel, Travel???

Post Likes
    [Not like it really matters to me?

But according to the numbers you have posted here you would not be.

QUOTE=Nh3 Refrigeration Tech;14184621]I'm positive.[e/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Just bigger nuts. Dont be intimadated. Company's like young go getters as they can beat you up a little. Us old guys are to grummpy and set in our ways.
    Your worth what the company is willing to pay you based on your experience. This goes for which ever field your in. If you want to go with another company and expect a pay cut, regardless of the experience can you support yourself? also, set a goal, how long will it take for you to get back what your making now or more. This of course is based on how well you do. But, talking openly of your desires with the new company will help you make those decisions. Don't think they will do the right thing when the time comes. You want to know how advancement works, how many accounts they service, how busy they are and what their turn over rate is. Talk to other local techs and get their feed back. You don't want to get caught where they are busy then lay off when its slow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptnkirk View Post
    Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs. Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Techs that are worth their salt travel world wide and are no where paid what they are worth. Travel, Travel, Travel???
    It varies. At our factory, we use all outside contractors, other than basic pipfitting or troublshooting electric switchgear. We do maintain pumps ourselves.

The service techs I've worked with travel only regionally (within 3 hours), and are back home every evening.

Post Likes
    i appreciate all the advice from everyone. i got into a big union ac company that does lots of big commercial ac. but no refrigeration im going to miss the refrigeration, ill see how it goes.

Post Likes
    I can't speak for "other" Industrial Refergeration Plants, but the one I work for does NOT bring in other service companies when it comes to their Refrigeration Equiptment with the exception of P&ID's and MII's. The Techs here are more than qualified to handle anything and everything that may or may not happen in the Engine Room / Rest of the Plant. And again, I can't speak for "Most Industrial Refrigeration Techs", but if they can make more money traveling "world wide" as you put it, then more power to them. Waking up in a different City / Country each week is not somthing that appeals to me. Having my farm, my dogs, and my wife and being close to my children are far more important to me than making a few extra bucks be being gone all the time.

Post Likes
    i would imagine that with this new company you will go to different places to work every day and not be stuck in the same plant every day?
    I think i would like that better?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    i appreciate all the advice from everyone. i got into a big union ac company that does lots of big commercial ac. but no refrigeration im going to miss the refrigeration, ill see how it goes.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    LOL No and No. Some plants have operators yes. Some run unmanned and alot even with men on the clock still call in service companies to do most of their work. Traveling techs is an option but there are plenty of local service companies as well. The fact is that we usually end up making more money especially for the amount of work we do. It tends to be easier albeit more dangerous. We don't kill our bodies day in and day out like attic crawlers or roof crawlers. Is it for everyone? No.

Can you make more money elsewhere? Commercial or the cutthroat ripoff resi companies that pay for selling capacitors and contactors can make you alot more. If you don't have a conscience.

Anyway I started in the field at a light industrial company that worked on air cooled chillers, vapor recovery, pharmaceutical processes, etc. Then moved on to ammonia a few years later. If you lack the fear and have the basics down pat you will do fine. LISTEN and LEARN to anyone that teaches you something. But always be open. Alot of the old guys are stuck in their ways and stubborn.

PS - The on call is usually alot better too. Alot less emergency service than the resi companies especially during the busy times.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Post Likes
    Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs.
    Hey I'm one of those underpaid techs! Have been for about 30 years and I consider it my job to keep the service companies out of my plant. Wish I got the money saved by doing that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in