Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptnkirk View Post
    Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs. Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Techs that are worth their salt travel world wide and are no where paid what they are worth. Travel, Travel, Travel???
    It varies. At our factory, we use all outside contractors, other than basic pipfitting or troublshooting electric switchgear. We do maintain pumps ourselves.

The service techs I've worked with travel only regionally (within 3 hours), and are back home every evening.

i appreciate all the advice from everyone. i got into a big union ac company that does lots of big commercial ac. but no refrigeration im going to miss the refrigeration, ill see how it goes.

Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs. Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Techs that are worth their salt travel world wide and are no where paid what they are worth. Travel, Travel, Travel???
    I can't speak for "other" Industrial Refergeration Plants, but the one I work for does NOT bring in other service companies when it comes to their Refrigeration Equiptment with the exception of P&ID's and MII's. The Techs here are more than qualified to handle anything and everything that may or may not happen in the Engine Room / Rest of the Plant. And again, I can't speak for "Most Industrial Refrigeration Techs", but if they can make more money traveling "world wide" as you put it, then more power to them. Waking up in a different City / Country each week is not somthing that appeals to me. Having my farm, my dogs, and my wife and being close to my children are far more important to me than making a few extra bucks be being gone all the time.

i would imagine that with this new company you will go to different places to work every day and not be stuck in the same plant every day?
    I think i would like that better?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    i appreciate all the advice from everyone. i got into a big union ac company that does lots of big commercial ac. but no refrigeration im going to miss the refrigeration, ill see how it goes.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

LOL No and No. Some plants have operators yes. Some run unmanned and alot even with men on the clock still call in service companies to do most of their work. Traveling techs is an option but there are plenty of local service companies as well. The fact is that we usually end up making more money especially for the amount of work we do. It tends to be easier albeit more dangerous. We don't kill our bodies day in and day out like attic crawlers or roof crawlers. Is it for everyone? No.

Can you make more money elsewhere? Commercial or the cutthroat ripoff resi companies that pay for selling capacitors and contactors can make you alot more. If you don't have a conscience.

Anyway I started in the field at a light industrial company that worked on air cooled chillers, vapor recovery, pharmaceutical processes, etc. Then moved on to ammonia a few years later. If you lack the fear and have the basics down pat you will do fine. LISTEN and LEARN to anyone that teaches you something. But always be open. Alot of the old guys are stuck in their ways and stubborn.

PS - The on call is usually alot better too. Alot less emergency service than the resi companies especially during the busy times.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Dont most Industrial Refrigeration Plants have underpaid maintainers/Refrigeration Techs that only use service companies when the crappo hits the fan or for installation jobs.
    Hey I'm one of those underpaid techs! Have been for about 30 years and I consider it my job to keep the service companies out of my plant. Wish I got the money saved by doing that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12