Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been compiling several estimates for a new heating system in my home -- the whole project includes installing a new boiler, some kind of hot water heater/tank, and replacing my oil tank with a new Roth double wall tank.

In regard to the boilers and water tanks, I'm going to be dropping a lot of money so I want to make sure I make the best decision for my home -- a one story ranch; 1200 square feet; forced hot water heat; two zones (plus a future 3rd zone for a 1000sf basement to be finished later). I have no plans to move from this home.

Here are the best two offers so far from reputable installers:

1. Energy Kinetics System 2000. Beckett 3450 AFG burner. System 2000 40 gallon domestic hot water storage tank (stainless steel).

2. Buderus G115/21 cast iron hot water boiler. Riello F40 burner. Super Stor SSU45 indirect hot water heater.

I'm trying hard to educate myself as much as possible to make a good decision. I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have more experience than me in this field.

Thanks.

I would go with the Buderus boiler. One of the best 3 pass oil boilers out there. I'd take a Riello burner over a Beckett any day. I would suggest you get the Logamatic boiler controls with the Buderus, or a Tekmar 260 boiler control at the very least.

gto boy Guest
    Johnsp is a Wiseman,I agree with his post 100%!!

I would go with EK....but thats just me. Check out their websites.
    The More You Know, The More You Can Get In Trouble For!!!!

Buderus w/ Carlin burner. The Riello has been known to be noisy on this boiler.

We insall the EK's and we love them. Very reliable and they save a lot of fuel. They are also the quietest oil boiler ever.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Another question: Can the EK be installed with an indirect water heater instead of the storage tank?

It can but the storage tank with the plate heat exchanger that is part of the EK package is an indirect hot water heater. The benefit of the EK approach is that if the exchanger gets plugged due to hard water or minerals it can be removed (even by the homeowner) and cleaned or replaced and you don't have to buy a whole new indirect.

A flate plate HX is not the best way to transfer heat. Can't beat putting the HX in the water tank. Best yet is the Triangle Tube Phase III indirect, no coil, nothing to plug. I think EK doesn't like indirects. Must pull too much heat out of the boiler and cause condensing.

If you can get the EK at a great price, do it. I like the low mass concept, but I think they get too much for a steel boiler. My choice would be a Biasi low mass cast iron boiler.

Buderus is my choice. German engineering is the best, With the "logomatic" you can't lose.Its the choice for my home.

i was thinking of the same for my home, unfortunitly i have
    to become an ek dealer or buy from my competitor. so the choice became clear to me to go with a buderus. i have installed a couple of the ek's and were impressed with the operation. but for parts availability im going with buderus.

The servicing oil company SHOULD have a big say in what boiler they will be taking care of for you. Put another way, if a boiler doesn't get the proper maintenance it will not function correctly and that will cost alot more to operate it.

I like the Burnham MPO boiler, but it is new to the market. The Buderus is a fine boiler, with the Carlin Elite burner would be my choice. I don't see any benefit of the Riello burner over the Carlin, and the Carlin is much easier to work on than the Riello. Parts for the Elite are plentiful and less expensive than the Riello too. Servicing oil companies will know about the American burner Elite compared to the foreign made Riello. Regarding the EK boiler, it's all steel and just as much money as a more robust cast iron boiler, and as such, cast iron wins.

What boiler does your local oil company install?

I have two local oil companies bidding on the job -- one who's pitching the EK the other who's pitching the Buderus.

Besides the burner/boiler, I'm having a water storage tank installed (SuperStor with the Buderus or EK 40 gallon standard), a Roth oil tank installed, and the baseboard heat loops replaced in the basement for better zoning.

The EK estimate wins right now by over $. Seems like a no brainer to me ...
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-17-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed price reference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast