Thread: Furnace keeps shutting down... HELP?

Post Likes

Furnace keeps shutting down... HELP?

My furnace is a 1990 model manufactured by Inter-City Products in Lavergne, TN. It's model #NUGE050CG02, with a newer (8 years old?) Honeywell digital thermostat.
    It acts normal when I turn it on - inducer fan comes on, gas comes on, igniter lights, burners burn, but this only lasts for two or three minutes, then everything shuts off, including power to the thermostat. I can only get it back on by unplugging the furnace for a few minutes, then after plugging it back in it goes through the same short cycle again then shuts down.

Things I've done so far:
    1. Checked the flue for obstructions - all clear.
    2. Put on a new ground wire for the control board (Robert Shaw brand without indicator lights).
    3. Changed all the filters.
    4. Put on a new vacuum line from pressure switch to inducer fan.
    5. Verified that I'm getting 24 volts to my pressure switch.
    6. Cleaned the flame sensor with steel-wool.

What now?

Post Likes
    you've done more then would normally be suggested for a homeowner. Next step is call in a pro to check the system out. with a heater that is 21 years old you'll definitely want it properly checked out, to make sure it's operating at safe level.

Post Likes
    If the furnace is running over 2 solid min before shutdown then its warming up and starting to get hot. It might be overheating, it might be having a burning chamber problem, must be checked and tested to know. Its old and must have a pro look at it.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Post Likes
    I wouldn't guess at any more parts.

Time to call in a professional.

Look at our Contractor Locator Map in my signature line to see if there is a contractor near you.

Post Likes
    yup.....if it runs for 2-3 minutes and cuts off and the thermostat dies. then it sounds like its over heating. could be a bad part, could be a part working, could be a breach in the heat exchanger. you should have a pro come check this old furnace out for you.

Post Likes
    sir fix alot, This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in