Thread: Hoshizaki Class

Hoshizaki Class

Got a pamplet from Cannon Marketing for Hoshizaki America Service School.

Looks like 5 hours with buffet breakfast and a break, and they give you a cap and screwdriver, bearing gauge and service material. Don't see much being learned in 4 hours or so. Anyone been to this?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

I've attended a 'Hoshizaki America Basic Service Seminar' which lasted about 6-7 hours total. It included breakfast and lunch so the class itself was likely about 5 hours in length. I thought it was worthwhile. Obviously it's not an in-depth study but if you don't already have a ton of experience with Hoshizaki but service ice machines on occasion then it's worth the time IMO. This is generally a slower time of year anyway so it usually doesn't have a large impact on your real work. Plus our class was free... I think.

it's been years since attending Hoshi class, generally go over newest stuff; but the info that is passed on but not in print is priceless
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I mostly do comfort cooling and heating. I have my refrigeration license, and am looking at steering possibly more in the direction of refrigeration/ice makers. But no matter what, I have found understanding refrigeration has made me a whole lot better A/C tech. Have worked on some Hoshi's, and have a general understanding of them. Probably will go to see how the class is. It is in February. Only thing was that it is put on by a Marketing Company, and I was wondering if it was really legitimate.

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    I mostly do comfort cooling and heating. I have my refrigeration license, and am looking at steering possibly more in the direction of refrigeration/ice makers. But no matter what, I have found understanding refrigeration has made me a whole lot better A/C tech. Have worked on some Hoshi's, and have a general understanding of them. Probably will go to see how the class is. It is in February. Only thing was that it is put on by a Marketing Company, and I was wondering if it was really legitimate.
    It would appear that Cannon Marketing is 'wholesale foodservice equipment distributor and manufacturers representative' and one of their product offerings is Hoshizaki ice machines. I think their name misleads one into what their company actually does. The class I attended was also hosted by an equipment distributor.

Their website: http://www.1cmi.com/aboutus.htm

Since you're an ice machine novice, go ahead and go. Hoshi classes are normally given by their distributors. You'll get some good basic info, the little orange service book,(see if you can nab a little green book from someone) as well as a sales pitch. Thing about Hoshi's is their technology has changed very little over the years, and for me the classes become quite boring.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Probably will go. Just wanted to make sure it was legitimate, as I have been to some cheap classes that wound up being absolutely nothing technical, and was all a sales pitch.
    My business is turning into primarily repair and service of HVAC, though I am licensed to install, I just don't like it as much as repair. So I am thinking it is time to ease over into commercial refrigeration, as I could pretty much care less about having to work evenings and weekends, and certain times of the year I am sitting in front of this puter if not working, so may as well make some good money if available. Now 2:00 am, well that is a different story. I just don't function at those hours.

don't let their name confuse you.

Cannon Marketing is the distributor for our area, all parts come thru them.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I have been dealing exclusively with ice machines for over 30 years and never go more than 2 years without attending a service school whether it be Hoshizaki, Manitowoc, Scotsman, Follett, or Ice-O-Matic. Once in a while there is even a Kold-Draft school. I always pick up something that proves useful in the field. Besides, the screwdriver and manuals come in handy.

Don't forget as well as factory and Regional Manitowoc schools every month there is FREE webcast! It last 1 hour and is on twice on the same day. Find it on the website. Also free online training on there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbailey19808 View Post
    Don't forget as well as factory and Regional Manitowoc schools every month there is FREE webcast! It last 1 hour and is on twice on the same day. Find it on the website. Also free online training on there.
    What do you have to do to qualify for Manitowac Classes? Do you have to have an account or be a dealer? Do they still require the 1 week class and yearly update?