Thread: Hyperion 8kw Heater Strip Wiring

Post Likes

Hyperion 8kw Heater Strip Wiring

I'm being picky here.
    My Hyperion Air handler was leaking pretty bad form the front so I took off the middle (coil) panel and top heater strip panel and put some 3/16 weather strip in and it sealed it up real nicely. I also sealed around the refrig lines with some white putty weather striping I bought from home depot for $5. (Is this stuff ok to use there?).

Ok so for my real question(s). When I took off the heater strip panel I noticed the 6 guage wire runs in front of the electronics right by the door, This is pushing on the door and on the electronics pretty hard. It looks like it is supposed to be run behind the little control board. Should I have them come out and re run this wire. Also the middle panel is leaking because the coil is sticking out about 3/16 to far for the top of the panel to seal correctly the 3/16 weather stripping cured this. I do see that the coil seals against the door. I also noticed some drops of water on the door from the coil touching it? should I be concerned. The air only runs a few times in the evening now and is basically off all day. I can post a picture of the wire if you want me to.

Post Likes
    My electrician friend fixed the wire so its not an issue anymore. (I have pictures of before and after, it took him about 10 minutes to fix). He actaully moved the little board out of the way to run the wire behind it, it was very easy. I guess I will wait until summmer to see if the coil will leak. I dont see how that little pan will catch everything if it is not aligned exactly right.

Post Likes
    Yes the wire was supposed to be behind the board. Yes the panels do leak air around them, you notice it alot now because now there is a possitive pressure on those panels where before it was negative. The panels are made to fit tight against the weather striping but they still leak. Trane has made some changes and are trying to make it better. The water you mentioned, where was and is your unit in the attic or a closet? I have seen some sweating at the Trane enblem in the center of the panel, there is a recessed space there witch is thinner and sweats due to the cold air on the inside.

Post Likes
    The water was just on the inside of the door on panel that covers the coil. Just a few drops nothing to really be concerned about yet. I actually took of the heater door panel off because the seal was so bad. I put the weather strip on the bottom and it is sealed really good now. That is when I noticed the horrible wiring job they did and how it looked like it was going to damage the board. I build server computers and am familiar with that sort of wiring and knew it did not look right. I have went over the install with a fine tooth comb (at least from a visual perspective) at this point and everything looks good. I am just really bummed that I cant use my auto changeover feature on the thermostat with out having the low ambient control installed. Is that very expensive to have installed and does it require removing the refrigerant or anything that extensive.

Post Likes
    What tstat do you have? not sure why you cant use auto, and i beleive the low ambient is a want to have not a need to have. Is your system a standard heat pump system?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in