Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samservice View Post

Let me warn you, this is a TOUGH service business to be in. It is rewarding and there is money in it. I think the real trick is to have sharp guys that are willing to do just about anything.
    Exactly. Frankly, I'm surprised at the amount of guys that refuse to touch things without even trying. Those are the guys that get sent home early because they won't take a call they feel may be out of their zone.

Meanwhile, I'll be in a restaurant waiting for the place to cool because I changed an AC compressor earlier in the day. While I'm in there, I'm also changing a Delfield thermostat that rusted closed. While I'm waiting for THAT to cycle, I'm replacing a gas valve in a Pitco fryer I condemned last week. As I'm walking out the door, the manager will ask me to look at a light fixture in the kitchen that just went out - it will need a ballast - so I'll return tomorrow with the ballast. Ten hour day and more work for tomorrow.

The more you know, the more you work. The more you work, the more you make.

Is anyone buying used equipment and repairing/refurbashing to resell it?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

hello there. I have about 5 years expirience in comercial food equipment industry my question is how do I get my contractors license? where do I start? what do I need? or what are they called? I know the one for hvacr but the one for food equipment interest me more. your response is apreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by flukillo View Post
    hello there. I have about 5 years expirience in comercial food equipment industry my question is how do I get my contractors license? where do I start? what do I need? or what are they called? I know the one for hvacr but the one for food equipment interest me more. your response is apreciated.
    To work on equipment you don't need any that i know of. To install hoods you need an hvac license in North Carolina. Other states may be different. HVAC includes the mechanical portion here.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Used Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    Is anyone buying used equipment and repairing/refurbashing to resell it?
    I have sold a few items and gotten bit on most of them. In my opinion, the money is in service.
    I have some friends who are running about 10 techs. They have a full-time shop guy who does nothing but rebuild and refurbished.
    They usually drop off a loaner to a customer and wind up selling the loaner to them and refurbishing the trade-in.
    That seems to work ok. I really don't have the time or interest in going to auctions and hauling equipment.

In my limited expirience in the commercial kitchen world i have learned that what you must be is a problem solver in order to succeed. That means nothing is too hard, too complicated, or too involved. You have to be the " get er done" guy. No excuses, just working equipment. No one knows it all and even the most expirienced have to scratch thier head on a daily basis because nothing is ever the same twice. Just keep in mind that everything is essentially a switch and a light bulb. You should know whether or not you are a problem solver. If not, stay away from the commercial kitchens and stick to a more basic trade. Nothing is gonna be easy about it ,and as soon as you except that in the grand scheme of things you dont know anything but are willing to learn and make it happen, the better off you will be. In my opinion, no one is prepared for the commercial kitchen business. Not even the guys who have done it for years. So dont wait for a certificate that ells you your ready, just " get er done".

This post has helped me tremedously, I'm buying out a commercial refrigeration/ Air conditioning contractor in 6 months and want to take the business into the kitchen equipment as well since I myself have been working on it for the last 5 years with the company I am working with now. This is a great motivator page Thanks Again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_1963 View Post
    Exactly.
    Meanwhile, I'll be in a restaurant waiting for the place to cool because I changed an AC compressor earlier in the day. While I'm in there, I'm also changing a Delfield thermostat that rusted closed. While I'm waiting for THAT to cycle, I'm replacing a gas valve in a Pitco fryer I condemned last week. As I'm walking out the door, the manager will ask me to look at a light fixture in the kitchen that just went out - it will need a ballast - so I'll return tomorrow with the ballast. Ten hour day and more work for tomorrow.
    You my man should work for yourself. You will blow the competition away. This is the way I have been running my business for 23 years. Try asking a Hobart, GCS, or a Service Solutions man to change a ballast. You'll hear them laughing all the way to the back door. If there was enough guys like you and me and the customers knew their was life after warranty these other companies would be out of business. Warranty gets them in the door but the smart operators don't keep them after it expires.

where i work we keep the cold side and hot side separate. most refer/hvac guys don't wanna work on fryers and visa versa. just my 2 cents. ill fix some oven and stuff on call but dont want it to be my daily thing. my company does. refer,ac,cooking equipment,ice machines, beverage equipment and anythings else a restaurant can throw are way. they tried to make themselves a one stop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    where i work we keep the cold side and hot side separate. most refer/hvac guys don't wanna work on fryers and visa versa. just my 2 cents. ill fix some oven and stuff on call but dont want it to be my daily thing. my company does. refer,ac,cooking equipment,ice machines, beverage equipment and anythings else a restaurant can throw are way. they tried to make themselves a one stop shop.
    Here too. Different labor rates are charged. Hot side is considerably less than cold side. That being said, hot side is non union.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Ive been in the feild for a while now ,get involved with CFESA and check out http://www.partstown.com/. Hoe this helps

I was wondering if you all take care of the periodic grease cleaning of exhaust venters and grease ducts, etc. If not why and if so what equipment you are all using? Most of the guys around here in the commercial equipment side of things, sub-contract grease cleaning to others due to expensive certification, permits, and insurance?

Hood cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I was wondering if you all take care of the periodic grease cleaning of exhaust venters and grease ducts, etc. If not why and if so what equipment you are all using? Most of the guys around here in the commercial equipment side of things, sub-contract grease cleaning to others due to expensive certification, permits, and insurance?
    We seriously considered it, but decided it was more of a distraction than anything else. A lot of my customers want us to do everything - hot side, cold side, AC, general repairs, etc. I don't have a problem with. I've even mounted towel dispensers and hooked up phone systems. I have drawn the line at any type of hood cleaning though. When you stop and think about it, cleaning is a whole different ball game. You really need to hire less skilled workers that are willing to work nights and supervise themselves (and do a good job). If you have guys go in a do a sorry job on cleaning, are you risking losing the service work also?

In my opinion, the money is in service. I don't clean and I don't make referals for hood cleaners either (I've been burned with that also).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast