+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The business of food service equipment

Post Likes

The business of food service equipment

So how does one find themselves in the food service business, and where do you go to learn what is needed to profiently offer this service? And where do you get your parts?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    i was thrown into it i needed a job , i said i could do it and he bilieved me. i become good at it , learn by experiance

Post Likes
    I've been doing since I been in the field. A wiring diagram and sequence of operation you should be able to figure anything out. If that doesn't work, tech support can be your lifeline.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    I've been doing since I been in the field. A wiring diagram and sequence of operation you should be able to figure anything out. If that doesn't work, tech support can be your lifeline.
    Definitely agree with you on that smurphy

Post Likes
    how do you get the tech support numbers? Are they on the equipment, or do you have to go online? Are the gas pressure settings the same as we see in heating, and do you have ports to check the pressures easily?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    how do you get the tech support numbers? Are they on the equipment, or do you have to go online? Are the gas pressure settings the same as we see in heating, and do you have ports to check the pressures easily?
    All of my techs have a laptop in their van, so finding wiring diagrams, tech support numbers come pretty easily.

Most of the time the gas pressures are the same (3.5 inches), but some do call for 4 inches. Some pressure taps are hard to get to, but are not impossible.

The techs I hire don't have experience in cooking equipment. I normally start them out doing the "easy" equipment first (steam tables, heat lamps etc etc), then work them up to the harder stuff. I have a tech right now that has been with me for close to 3 years now, and I can throw him at anything.

Also, If your serious about doing cooking equipment. I would look into becoming a member of CFSEA. They offer training for steam, electric and gas equipment as well as management training, Good luck, Steve

Post Likes
    As for parts. I use Whaley food service, allpoints and heritage. Also don't think you can mark up parts like you do in the HVAC side of things. Cooking equipment parts have a list price, which is very easily found by customers.

Post Likes
    Smurphy,

Are you set up to do warranty work for commmercial cooking equipment manufactures? I am considering taking on warranty calls for star mfg. Which would also include wells, Lang, middleby-marshall, a few more. They tell me being an authorized service company will get me paid quicker. As of date, I mainly just do warranty work on what we sell, because there isn't an authorized service agent in reasonable driving distance to do warranty. They also claim they could keep me very busy.

Anyone else that does routine warranty work for these companies please chime in and let me know the good and the bad.

Also, I personally pack the Motorola xoom with me for access to wiring diagrams, schematics, and to access the mfg website. Generally if I get a call on a piece of equipment I am not familiar with, I will download any helpful service documentation before going to the location. This has saved me many times, and can usually determine cause of the problem without having to sit on hold with tech support. Not always though, and usually tech support can steer you in the right direction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    All of my techs have a laptop in their van, so finding wiring diagrams, tech support numbers come pretty easily.

Most of the time the gas pressures are the same (3.5 inches), but some do call for 4 inches. Some pressure taps are hard to get to, but are not impossible.

The techs I hire don't have experience in cooking equipment. I normally start them out doing the "easy" equipment first (steam tables, heat lamps etc etc), then work them up to the harder stuff. I have a tech right now that has been with me for close to 3 years now, and I can throw him at anything.

Also, If your serious about doing cooking equipment. I would look into becoming a member of CFSEA. They offer training for steam, electric and gas equipment as well as management training, Good luck, Steve
    what does cfsea stand for? Google search yielded nothing looking like equipment.

Post Likes
    So what does the normal service call like this involve? Do you guys do refrigeration work as well? Ice makers?

Post Likes
    So what does the normal service call like this involve? Do you guys do refrigeration work as well? Ice makers?

Just recently on the refrigeration side of things.

Definitely ice makers, and anything else you would find in a commercial kitchen. Some Calls are easy and others require some thought. Sometimes you can fix it on the spot, and others you have to wait on a part. Sometimes a good cleaning is all a piece of equipment needs.

Then when the cost of repair is not reasonable, you can sell them another one.

Post Likes
    what does cfsea stand for? Google search yielded nothing looking like equipment.
    Sorry lol. Its CFESA. Commercial food equipment service association

http://www.cfesa.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldbta View Post
    Smurphy,

Are you set up to do warranty work for commmercial cooking equipment manufactures? I am considering taking on warranty calls for star mfg. Which would also include wells, Lang, middleby-marshall, a few more. They tell me being an authorized service company will get me paid quicker. As of date, I mainly just do warranty work on what we sell, because there isn't an authorized service agent in reasonable driving distance to do warranty. They also claim they could keep me very busy.

Anyone else that does routine warranty work for these companies please chime in and let me know the good and the bad.

Also, I personally pack the Motorola xoom with me for access to wiring diagrams, schematics, and to access the mfg website. Generally if I get a call on a piece of equipment I am not familiar with, I will download any helpful service documentation before going to the location. This has saved me many times, and can usually determine cause of the problem without having to sit on hold with tech support. Not always though, and usually tech support can steer you in the right direction.

Normally warranty work doesn't pay a decent labor rate (some do, some Don't), And if your a authorized service rep, you have to stock parts that the manufacture tells you to stock.

I will do warranty work for my normal customers, main reason is I don't want another company to have face time with my customer.

I will say that becoming a authorized service rep can open more opportunities to gaining more customers.

Post Likes
    Yes, basically when I go in a restaurant I want them to call me for everything, A/C's, ice machines, coolers, freezers and cooking equipment. I however will not work on dishwashers and coffee machines.

I also do Residential HVAC too.

Being diversified in this economy is king. When the a/c, refrigeration side is slow, I'm normally slammed on the cooking equipment stuff and vise versa.

Post Likes
    I have my refrigeration license, but I do mostly hvac repair. Been thinking of getting more into the refrigeration side of things. Oh I have electrical license as well. When do you normally get your service calls on refrigeration and restaurant equipment?
    I am also looking at getting more into ice machines as that is part of refrigeration work.

Post Likes
    I have my refrigeration license, but I do mostly hvac repair. Been thinking of getting more into the refrigeration side of things. Oh I have electrical license as well. When do you normally get your service calls on refrigeration and restaurant equipment?
    I am also looking at getting more into ice machines as that is part of refrigeration work.
    Pretty much year round.
    Check your messages

Post Likes
    For ice machine training I would be looking into the manufacture schools they put on at the factory. Hoshizaki has a two course at their factory in Atlanta Ga.

I would be leary about the 1/2 seminars that they put on around the country. These tend to be more about their new and improve product and ends up being more of a sales seminar and very little "training".

Post Likes
    dont you have to be sponsered to become a member of cfesa

Post Likes
    Offer someone in Greensboro, NC $730 or so for their membership, and I imagine they will find you a sponsor if needed.

Post Likes
    I looked into cfesa's web site thinking it was something for a technician to join but apparently not. It's for business owners in food service equipment repair. Bummer. I'll find something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in