Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by cem-bsee

...are you going to buy a 9 passenger van this year, just because you may have a big family?
    Better go ahead and get a fifteen passenger model.

-Might have a few sets of twins.

State of the world rant

I think it is apparent that average customers strongly tend to think that BIGGER IS BETTER! This includes customers who are not just dummies but rather intelligent in their own fields -- just that they haven't studied humidity control. All the stories I have heard say that it is a really easy sell to get a bigger AC than the Manual J says, sometimes by far.

More awareness of humidity in the home, would help. To do that would imply a large advertising campaign, something impossible for any small business to do. If the government and/or a big regional organization were to push the idea, that might work. A malignant thought... might some super-salesman be able to persuade a top-down organization like Lowes to change *their* mercenary ways and sell high end diagnostics rather than the same old same old? Retail executives might be able to see this as a way to differentiate, to "wow" their customers -- and of course charge what it is worth in the process. To do this would require a top-down business decision and rigorous training of techs (who I expect would not be believers at first, but cooperate because their boss requires it).

But every time a homeowner has a cooling problem, the first thing he locks onto is the notion his old unit is "undersized". (Ductwork? He barely knows it exists!). It's just a towering big job to persuade him otherwise with mere logic and words. AC techs are not teachers in general, they cannot be. If they were equipped with some gee-whiz tools and measurements, they might successfully play the role of "magicians" -- just as professionals do in other fields (e.g. think computer guy). I see hardly anyone able to impress with facts and information, in and around Houston TX, one of the larger cities in the country.

Selling services is not so easy. Billing and getting paid is challenging outside of a large corporate environment. Selling equipment must be rather easier by comparison, that's what I see most. Whatever the true merits of service, I have to admit that the business model of selling equipment may be more profitable. The world is unfair, so what else is new.

I really hate to say this, but possibly there is more future in adapting the machinery to do what the homeowner really wants to by instinct. Changing machinery is hard, but changing people is even harder!

Best wishes -- Pstu

[Edited by pstu on 03-05-2006 at 10:43 AM]

I WOULD CONSIDER 2 STAGE COOLING WITH VARIABLE SPEED ECM MOTOR...THAT WAY WHEN YOU GO TO ADD ON YOU HAVE THE ADDED BTUS AND BENIFITS OF VARIABLE SPEED FOR DEHUMIDIFICATION

Thumbs down DO NOT OVER SIZE

Ihave been to class latley were the dicusion was on proper sizing and being able to use less tonage than normally would be used.

Thank you

I'd like to thank most of you - especially wyounger, that link was very informative. I completley understand how AND why humidity affects comfort. I also do not buy into the bigger is better theory at all. It's just that the lowest quote was coming from the bigger is better guy, and I was hoping to get some more background information before I demanded a smaller unit. But based on what you've all contributed it confirmed that he was not only off but extremely oversizing my machine - this makes me worry about the quality of the overall install. I've since found a contracter that I like very much and really knows his stuff (thanks again wgyounger). Although a little more expensive I believe the quality of the install will be superior. . . and that's what matters most in the end.

Thank you,
    Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12