Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take the Payne model and fork over $

9 42.86%
  • Take the $ and get something else

12 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Payne from Warranty or take the $$

Just moved into a home that came with a home warranty, and was having issues with the gas furnace (wasn't lighting). Warranty company sent someone out and they noted that the heat exchanger has a crack in it.

Warranty company is offering a new Payne PG8MAA042090, but it will cost me $XXX for disposal, modifying ducts, gas, & electric lines.

Or they will give me $XXX toward the purchase/install of my choice with a contractor of my choice.

I will most likely be in this house for 2-4 years until I transfer for my job again.

I would really appreciate any input on this unit, and if it would be more cost effective to go with something else.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-16-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

wolly

Well if you know you are only going to be in home 2-4 yrs, then I probably would go with the Payne which is typically low end that third party warranty companies like to use. However since I noticed you live in Chicago area, then I would ask for an upgrade cost to a 92%+ eff condensing furnace(you were quoted a low end 80% mdl). This might help you on resale. And if you don't already have one, I suggest a basic whole house 4-5" media cabinet.

What size and eff furnace are you replacing? What size is your AC condenser?

And I hate 3rd party warranty companies who are a scourge in the HVAC industry.

IMO

Gotta totally agree with Tiger!!!

I will have to ask about the upgrade cost. That is a good idea. I always like the idea of being more energy efficient.

I have no idea on the specs of what I am replacing. When I get home this afternoon I can take a look. I am unsure about the AC condenser as well. The condenser looks to be in pretty rough shape as well, so that will hopefully need replaced in the spring as well.

It is a 12xx sq foot 3 br 2 ba ranch on a slab foundation, if that helps you to estimate anything.

Also agree

Just called the warranty people.

No upgrade option. If I want to upgrade I have to take the credit option.

If I took that option, I would break even with my cost of the system from the warranty company at $. Would that even get me in the ballpark of a better unit?

I think that spending an extra$ is not out of the question, but not sure if I could even get anything done with a higher efficiency around the $ mark.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-17-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: prices

Take the money & hire a quality company to install the new one.
    No way are you gonna get anything but a hacked-in install using the home warranty company.

hope its not too late here!

get quotes, get opinions, and then make a deal , on paper and in writing. (with blood if possible).
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Take the money and get quotes from companies that ACTUALLY do good work. Warranty company will only do the bare minimum for you to get it to work.

wolly

Is furnace working at all or was furnace disabled?

I would take the money and get a decent high eff condensing mdl 92%+ efficient. You will likely be better satisfied in operating cost, better install, and overall comfort.

Let the forum know what you decide.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wolly6973 View Post
    Just called the warranty people.

No upgrade option. If I want to upgrade I have to take the credit option.

If I took that option, I would break even with my cost of the system from the warranty company at $1050. Would that even get me in the ballpark of a better unit?

I think that spending an extra$ is not out of the question, but not sure if I could even get anything done with a higher efficiency around the $ mark.
    If you get a condensing furnace installed for $ or somebody even quotes you one for that. I'd be very scared. It will either be stolen, used and messed up or some complete hack company will be putting it in. I have no idea what it costs in your area. But that is a low cost bid here, so I know it is there.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-17-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: prices
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

No prices allowed in post.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

"Go on, take the money and run...."
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast