Chattering gas valve ?

Guys: Had an intermittant noise while burners were on.,I diagnoised and replaced gas valve.Solinoid appeared to be chattering. Customer a week later called and said noise is still there. Carrier ser #5382A04932..,Mod 394GAW024075..,Product ends AAEA.
    The old vale was a 5 terminal.,2 solinoid W/R
    The new EF32W 233 with no external solinoids
    I did check to see if I had a good 24v to valve.,and i did.
    Any thoughts on this..,thanks !

Chattering gas valve

Guys: Had an intermittant noise while burners were on.,I diagnoised and replaced gas valve.Solinoid appeared to be chattering. Customer a week later called and said noise is still there. Carrier ser #5382A04932..,Mod 394GAW024075..,Product ends AAEA.
    Any thoughts on this..,thanks

What was the inlet gas pressure? Excessive gas pressure above the rating of the valve will cause it to hammer. For natural gas should be getting about 7 inWC, +/- 1 inWC. Even though most valves are rated for upto 14 inWC inlet any more than 8 inWC and I would be suspect of the main regulator issue. Seen homes with 2 pound systems and the installer regulator go bad, so may not just be the utility companies reg at the meter, so take this into respect if you are indeed seeing excessive pressure at the inlet of the gas valve.
    Propane usually is 11 inWC inlet pressure. need to check with the manufacture and LP system for actual inlet pressure standards. They can vary.

Learn how a 3 W.P. works.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

The home has a low pressure N/Gas.,however will check. Im going to try a board on suggestion from a carrier tech. No one wins on come-backs!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicmuffin View Post
    Any thoughts on this..,thanks
    I found the same noise on 12/15/11 on a Carrier 58MC8060-08 90+ furnace. After I confirmed manifold gas pressure which was @2.5 in. w.c., adjusted to 3.5 in. w.c. and cleaned out the orifices the noise seemed to have went away. Hopefully that did it and its not intermittent , but I'm on call this weekend if the H/O calls back. Hope this helps.

Not uncommon on certain model Carriers to have a manifold pressure around 2.5 here in Utah. High altitude deration charts in the Carrier install manuals can request pressures pretty low in conjunction with certain sized orifices. Here If I was to crank it back to 3.5, at an altitude of 4500ft, I'd have some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Not uncommon on certain model Carriers to have a manifold pressure around 2.5 here in Utah. High altitude deration charts in the Carrier install manuals can request pressures pretty low in conjunction with certain sized orifices. Here If I was to crank it back to 3.5, at an altitude of 4500ft, I'd have some issues.
    For my region which is the mid-Atlantic (Maryland) it calls for 3.5-3.8 on manufactures data plate.

on that furnace u need to be worried about cracks/holes in the heat exchanger. but anyways i would say your board is fine since it has nothing to do with the gas valve. i would look more towards the 3-wire pilot and pilot flame

Thanks for all the posts! I went back to customers.,she said when main burner tried to come on,valve made a chattering noise.Burners would go out,then it would try to start again. Of course when I was there I watched a dozen such cycle with no problems. I had with me and did install a new 3 wire pilot assembly. I did notice that the gas valve did make a pretty audibal noise when the pilot and the main burner came on..,but not every time, and it was just for a split second. (has anybody noticed this? this is a different design valve (no external solinoids).
    Onlything left is the board,and like previous post,has little if any to do with gas valve.

Forgot gas pressure to valve 5.3 in WC

Cool

Need to check inlet pressure under full load. Sometimes borderline inlet is just enough to get by when just the furnace is firing. Then, when other appliances come online the inlet is so low it can spasm out a valve. Will affect combustion analysis if manifold pressure drops or fluctuates much. If there is a medium pressure regulator (either NG or LP) test for lockup pressure and creep.