Thread: Carrier System vs. Luxaire System

Post Likes

Carrier System vs. Luxaire System

Hello, we live in a 1500 sq. ft. house in New Jersey. My HVAC system is about 25 years old, so I am looking to replace it and take advantage of some of the state rebates. I received a few quotes, and narrowed it down to these two:

Quote 1 - Luxaire System:
    Furnace: TG9S080B12MP11, 95.5%, 80,000BTU
    A/C: TCJD36S41S1 3 Ton, 13 SEER
    Coil: ???

Quote 2 - Carrier System:
    Furnace: 59SP5A080E17-16 96.5% 80,000 BTU
    A/C:59SP5A080E17-16 3 Ton, 16 SEER
    Coil: CNPVP4821

How do these two systems compare? I'm leaning towards the Carrier system due to the price, but can't find much information on the A/C unit they are quoting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    First thing that jumps out at me is over sized for both heating and cooling.
    Did anyone do a manual J?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    One company did a manual J. The numbers came out to 32379 Btuh for heating and 22921 Btuh for cooling.

Also, I just realized that I put the wrong part # for the A/C. The correct number is CA16NA036.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you need 1/2 the furnace and a 2 ton A/C.

Post Likes
    I would agree on the sizing. As far as the equipment, I handle Luxaire and Tempstar (ICP part of Carrier Corp) the Carrier is a little higher grade than the Luxaire, both decent equipment. It's more about proper installation than brand, all manufacturer's offer different levels of equipment.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice. The only issue that was brought up by the contractor doing the manual J was that my unit is a downflow and all my ducts run in an ventilated crawlspace. I was advised not to insulate the ducts due to the amount of cold water pipes runing in the space. It doesn't look like these losses were taken into account in the J calculation, but would this have an impact on the proper equipment sizing?

Post Likes
    Engine

Ductwork in attic is not insulated?

And dealer will stand behind installing a 95%+ condensing furnace in attic for a NJ location?

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by engine15 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The only issue that was brought up by the contractor doing the manual J was that my unit is a downflow and all my ducts run in an ventilated crawlspace. I was advised not to insulate the ducts due to the amount of cold water pipes runing in the space. It doesn't look like these losses were taken into account in the J calculation, but would this have an impact on the proper equipment sizing?
    Change the condition of the crawl space, seal and insulate the duct work.

Post Likes
    In your climate, I would want the crawl space to be conditioned, what with water lines and such.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Sounds like you need 1/2 the furnace and a 2 ton A/C.

I agree, I'm not understanding why the furnace was oversized by 2X.... unless for tax credits the needed th 4 ton fan. But you cna get a 4 ton blower on a 60k BTU unit.

Actually, I'm also having trouble understangin how a home in Jersey that needs 2 tosn fo cooling, only needs 32k BTU of heating? that balance doesn't sound right. In that climate, the heating load should be close to 2X the cooling load.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in