Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Decipher Energy Audit Report

I got an energy audit a couple of years ago and completet most of the main recommendations in the report. I am finally ready to replace our HVAC system and have shown this report to 3 different contractos and each one seems to give me a different answer in regards to the size/load of a new system.

Currently there are 2 systems -- gas furnace and A/C (a 2 ton and a 3 ton). The unit is about 10 years old and is rates at 80% efficiency with the A/C units coming in at 10 seer. The house is 3000 Sqft, and located in SF Bay Area -- so pretty mild climate.

Our duct system is a jumble of mess, so it will be completely replaced during this process (one of the main recommendations of the report)

My question is as follows: Given the attached report what size system is appropriate for our house -- both A/C and Furnace? It seems the contractors I am talking to are pushing a bigger system that the report indicates -- but then again the problem might be my amature eyes translating the report.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you serve the house with one system?

That is what I am being told -- that a single 5 Ton (York YP9C and a 16 Seer A/C) can easily handle the entire house. However -- given the numbers from the report -- that seems like a bit of overkill.

Waaaaay to big

So what is the suggested size given the audit/load report?

I don't see where the report mentions what the heat load calc was. I only see the breakdown for heating, not cooling.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    I don't see where the report mentions what the heat load calc was. I only see the breakdown for heating, not cooling.
    Yup, they talk about manual J, but no numbers are given.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

If they are choosing comparable unit sizes. The bids should be close to apples/apples make your choice and ensure they provide an updated load calc.
    Your current heating system is big for your home.No info on cooling provided.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by ootyboy View Post
    That is what I am being told -- that a single 5 Ton (York YP9C and a 16 Seer A/C) can easily handle the entire house. However -- given the numbers from the report -- that seems like a bit of overkill.
    any 5 ton unit will have at least a 100,000 btu furnace ,5 tons in for 3000 ft in frisco seem kinda big to me .

Looking at yoru electric bill, it doesn't look like you hardly use any AC. Get a load calc done, but just based on useage, I'd guess a 3 ton might be big enough for the whole house. Based on gas useage, I dobut you need more than a 60k BTU unit... if even that big.

Honestly, if you current system is still working, I'm nto seeing much savings replacing it.

Now... I'd look at some other energy savings things like lighting, or whatever else your using electricity for. you're over 1000kw-hr even in mild months. Wow! I have a 3200sqwft house with my wife and 1 kid and out Oct. bill (when mininal heating or cooling was used) was around 500kwhrs. You must have a ton of incadescent bulbs you leave on all the time, big TV's, electric water heater, do a ton of clothes or cooling an plug-in electric car maybe? That's some big time base load useage.

Quote Originally Posted by ootyboy View Post
    I got an energy audit a couple of years ago and complete most of the main recommendations in the report. I am finally ready to replace our HVAC system and have shown this report to 3 different contractors and each one seems to give me a different answer in regards to the size/load of a new system.

Currently there are 2 systems -- gas furnace and A/C (a 2 ton and a 3 ton). The unit is about 10 years old and is rates at 80% efficiency with the A/C units coming in at 10 seer. The house is 3000 Sqft, and located in SF Bay Area -- so pretty mild climate.

Our duct system is a jumble of mess, so it will be completely replaced during this process (one of the main recommendations of the report)

My question is as follows: Given the attached report what size system is appropriate for our house -- both A/C and Furnace? It seems the contractors I am talking to are pushing a bigger system that the report indicates -- but then again the problem might be my amateur eyes translating the report.
    SF CA summer design is 85-DB; it was the RH # 75% RH mid-day. My ARI text book shows 71 DB 62 WB; I didn't think that could be right so I got DB WB numbers off the web, so numbers may not be totally correct; that gave the RH% not the wet bulb...

Therefore it appears you have a high humidity situation with mild outdoor temperatures.

The last thing you want with those conditions is an oversized A/C or heat pump! Someone should have performed a room by room manual J heatload Calc. Five-Tons has to be way too big!
    Last edited by udarrell; 12-16-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Five-Tons has to be way too big! RH # 75% RH mid-day.

Thanks for feedback everyone. It is very helpful.

In regards to the electric bill it has been crazy high. We have a ton of 4" recessed lights in the house with 40W halogen bulbs. Last month I spent a small fortune and replaced them all -- about 40 with LED bulbs that are only 6 Watts. I have yet to see a current bill to see if has had any effect. We also have a Koi pond with a pump that is about 300W that runs 24/7, but aside from that there is nothing out of the ordinary.

In terms of location I am actually more in-land from SF - near a city called Walnut Creek. It does get quite a bit warmer here than in SF. However, we probably use the A/C no more than 3 to 4 weeks a year. The rest of the time the weather is quite pleasant.

As for the reason for the replacement is really a question of comfort. The current heaters just runs and runs and the house is still freezing. I know part of that is the duct work and better placement of the registers/returns(which is part of this project), but I think the heating system is working way too hard and not really doing anything. I was told by all the contractors that the register and return placement will have to be changed to make it better - and they are telling me that the first heater is undersized and the second way over sized.

We do have new insulation in the attic, floors and walls and new energy efficient windows. For a 60 year old house, it is sealed pretty well.

The second unit is way over sized for the area. For a 2 ton unit it has like 4 registers and when it runs it blows very very hard and is noisy. During the summer when we do run the A/C, we've noticed that both units run pretty much all day to just get the house down to 80!!

One of the contractors told me that he will run a a load calculation, but they are all adamant that given our house (ceiling height, windows, flooring) etc. a 5 ton unit is the minimum. All three companies I am working with are local, so they know the area very well -- but I am really afraid that they are all playing it very safe by over sizing the unit...

The pond exaplins a good chunk of it. That's 216 kw-hrs if it's actually consumping 300W. So it's almost 20% your electrical consumption.

What's insteresting si that you general use is so high and varies so much that you can't even differentiate your consumption from AC use. Its' probably less than 300 kw-hrs. That makes me thsi that you prbably don't need anything more than a 3 Ton. Actually most of your load is likely cooling tha house due to all those lighting loads.

Heck, I can even tell that you probably took a vacation during one month because you useage dropped dramatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast