Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DUSTY and NOISY York diamond 80

Hi, I have a P3HUA12N04801C in the condo that I bought recently. Somehow it seems that the HVAC air filter part was not installed correctly.

The filter that comes with the unit was installed at the dead end side of the unit, please see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15481782/IMG_0240.JPG and http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15481782/IMG_0239.JPG, the green scotch brite like filter is on the left side of the unit. But the return air comes from the opposite (right) side of the unit. So I installed a return grill and a flander naturalaire filter bought from Home Depot, please see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15481782/IMG_0246.JPG. The furnace works fine, but seems dusty, as I noticed moderate amount of dust on my desk in the morning.

I am a novice, just wondering whether I installed the air filter correctly, in the right place with the right filter? It states in the user's manual that a high velocity filter is required, but I could not find any scotch brite type filter at the Home Depot.

Also, the HVAC unit sounds noisy, it is located in my living room so it is a little annoying, is there anyway to reduce the noise, or do I need to grease or replace certain parts?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Did you remove a return grill and replace it with a filter grill?

YES, that's exactly what I did.

There was a return grill, but nowhere to put the filter. So I replaced the return grill with the filter grill. I want to make sure that I did the right thing though, i.e., I put correct type of filter in the right place.

the dust is probably due to the fact that it's been running without a filter since probably installation. The noise is due to probably a couple of factors. One being that the unit probably doesn't have enough return air going to it so it's sucking through the smaller then required opening. The second is the fact that it's just in a closet and the noise on an install like that SOMETIMES can not be avoided (without actually being there to hear the noise I can't say for sure). The other is without it running with a filter the coil is probably dirty and it can't discharge the amount of air that it IS able to get into the system. You need to call a pro out to examine the situation and give you the best recommendation for your actual situation.

Thanks for the detailed response!

What do you mean by "One being that the unit probably doesn't have enough return air going to it so it's sucking through the smaller then required opening"?

The opening in the wall is too small? Or the air filter is not the right type so it produces too much of the air pressure drop? The filter I use is the cheap and most common one from the Home Depot, the type that you need to change every 90 days. I don't know whether it fits the criteria of a high velocity filter.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisoffice View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response!

What do you mean by "One being that the unit probably doesn't have enough return air going to it so it's sucking through the smaller then required opening"?

The opening in the wall is too small? Or the air filter is not the right type so it produces too much of the air pressure drop? The filter I use is the cheap and most common one from the Home Depot, the type that you need to change every 90 days. I don't know whether it fits the criteria of a high velocity filter.
    The filter type is fine, it appears that the flex is ten inch or twelve and may be to small. What size is your ac unit?

You meant the size of the condenser unit? I need to go out and measure it tomorrow.

I can't believe that the original HVAC installer did not properly install the air filter, and whoever lived there before ran the HVAC without a filter. Well, simply unbelievable!

The air filter I am using now is 16*20, so yes, the flex is around 12, you can tell from the picture :-)

The model number for the A/C unit is HA01224C. I googled it, it seems to be 1.5-2 TON COIL 14.5X12.5. Sorry I am a novice, don't know much about it.

Have a pro install a bigger return duct (that flexible pipe). The bigger the better. 14" or bigger is what I'd go.

Then get a better filter, but use that filter grill.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Thanks!

What would you recommend as the "better filter"? It has to be 16*20*1 to fit that filter grill though.

I think its a noisey unit in a bad location.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

That appears to be a 2 ton coil. Using the accepted average standard of 400cfm/ton (depends on what your local area uses: ranges from ~400-350cfm/ton) you need to move 800cfm of air into that system for it to function properly (as well as 800 cfm OUT of the system). Keeping the velocity of the air to 300fpm your 16X20 R/A grill only handles 640cfm. You said you had a 12" flex, which only handles 430cfm (keeping the 300fpm). A 14 handles 650cfm and a 16 is 950. With these numbers as a rough indicator what's happening the best equivalent of what is happening is your system has asthma and is wheezing. Open your mouth as wide as you can and take some deep breaths, there is very little noise; now close it into a pucker and take those deep breaths, there is now noise. Nothing is changed except for the size of the opening for the air coming in. Now like I said with the coil being dirty (which I'll bet it is) even if you get all the needed air into the system you won't be able to get all the air OUT of the system so there will be still be some noise. Again SOMETIMES a closet unit makes noise no-matter the amount of air in/out, due to the vicinity of the blower in relation to the R/A opening. And like I said without actually being there and viewing everything I can not say for positive what your noise is, or the best way to fix it.

Thanks for the detailed analysis!

For the dust part, should I just wait for the dust that was accumulated in the ductwork to blow out completely, or should I somehow clean the ductwork? I know you can and should clean the ductwork periodically in the commercial building, but never saw anyone doing it in a condo setting.

For the noise part, I listened to it carefully today. When I turned the thermostat on, seemed like it was working in three stages. First it seemed a fan was turned on, and then after about 10 seconds, the flame part turned on, then after another ten seconds, the return air part started to work, as I can felt it starting to sucking air from the return air grill. Now the noise mostly comes from the second part, i.e., when the flame was lit. I compared it to my gas water header, when the flame is lit in the water heater, it does make some noise as well, but not as much as the furnace makes. Is there anything I can do to deal with this flame noise issue, or is it the way it should be?

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast