Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    March 2nd, 2006
    Collegiate Times Editorial Board
    E-MAIL PRINT Most Popular

Quick — name the five freedoms guaranteed to all U.S. citizens in the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Now, name the five lovable members of the popular “The Simpsons” family.

Scary, huh?

A recent survey by the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, but more than half can name at least two members of “The Simpsons” household.

The survey also found that more people could name the three “American Idol” judges than could identify three First Amendment rights. In addition, it showed that many people misidentified the rights contained within the First Amendment.

Come on, people — if we’re forking over thousands of dollars in tuition to go to college in this country, paying taxes to the government of this country and freely electing the leaders of this country, shouldn’t we understand the most basic principles that our country was founded upon?

The obligation to be an informed citizen carries an even greater weight since we are all part of the Virginia Tech community. For it is from this and other institutions of higher learning across the nation that America’s leaders emerge as well-rounded individuals prepared to take on a myriad of future challenges.

Yet, how much value do our college educations have if they fail to include such fundamental information as how our government works, who our leaders are (starting with university administrators and going all the way up to President Bush), and what major political and economic events are going on all over the world today, and who’s involved in them?

Many Americans ignorantly scoff at foreigners who become naturalized citizens because they have a different accent or a different skin color, or don’t seem as “American” as natural-born U.S. citizens. In truth, naturalized citizens know more about the country than almost all other Americans, the vast majority of whom could not complete the naturalization process due to the rigorous testing naturalized citizens must go through, and the extensive knowledge of our government and history they must possess beforehand.

The message our public schools and universities urgently need to ingrain into their students’ minds is that being a responsible citizen isn’t about Britney Spears’ baby or Angelina Jolie’s lips. It’s about actively caring about and taking part in the government that seems so invisible at times, yet is ever-present in all of our lives.

Oh, by the way: the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment are freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances. And, the five members of “The Simpsons” family are Bart, Homer, Maggie, Lisa and Marge, in case you didn’t know.
    Do as I say, not as I do

Another reason my children will be attending Dorothy Sayers Home School. Public school systems are pathetic.

There was another one like that a few years ago where they had to sing either the national anthem or the brady bunch theme.

More or less the same results.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Bart
    Homer
    Crusty the Clown
    Lisa
    Marge

Did I win ??

Originally posted by mattm
    Bart
    Homer
    Crusty the Clown
    Lisa
    Marge

Did I win ??

Nope, you forgot Maggie
    Do as I say, not as I do

Oh you wanted "members of the family" I just listed my 5 favorites. The bus driver is cool too.

Oh you wanted "members of the family" I just listed my 5 favorites. The bus driver is cool too.

Growing up we had a bus driver like Otto. he was a hippie, long hair, was cool with everyone, during highschool he would actually show up to parties...
    Do as I say, not as I do

reports like this make me so happy that I am typing this from a call center in India ....we will soon be takeing over your country and you will all be workign for 25 cents an hour.

Want to see scary...ask one of the kids at mcdonalds to make change with out the register telling him/her the exact amount....its soooo sad its funny.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Freedom of
    Speech
    Press
    Petition
    Assembly
    Religion

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble; and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." --First Amendment to the United States Constitution
    The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. The Supreme Court tells us how far these rights may be extended.

The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only literally applied to Congress. In addition, the Court has interpreted the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments.

You have the right to declare war without the consent of congress as long as you don't actually call it a war. Terms such as "Police action"; "WMD search and seizure action"; or "democracy profliferation" have been approved by state dept lawyers for use.

You have the right to torture citizens and non citizens in an equal manner.

You have the right to muzzle the free press with threats of imprisonment.

You have the right to search people's belongings (Backpacks and purses) at will as long as they are on a public right of way. Hell, lets go all out, you have the right to break and enter into any citizens residence or workplace and search through thier personal stuff at will.

You have the right to impose your belief system upon the entire population as the offically sactioned and state sponsored belief system. All other belief systems go to the back of the line.

You have the right to spy on everyone at will, especially if they are holding closed door meetings.

You have the right to label anyone guilty of speaking thier mind as a potential threat to the government.

You have the right to round up and arrest all porential troublemakers when the time is right.

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia

You have the right to label anyone guilty of speaking thier mind as a potential threat to the government.

You have the right to round up and arrest all porential troublemakers when the time is right.

[/B]

Do you resemble any of these remarks?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Talking

Bart
    Homer
    Crusty the Clown
    Lisa
    Marge

Did I win ??
    no,cause you forgot Apoo.....lol

Originally posted by refrigeration mafia
    You have the right to declare war without the consent of congress as long as you don't actually call it a war. Terms such as "Police action"; "WMD search and seizure action"; or "democracy profliferation" have been approved by state dept lawyers for use.

You have the right to torture citizens and non citizens in an equal manner.

You have the right to muzzle the free press with threats of imprisonment.

You have the right to search people's belongings (Backpacks and purses) at will as long as they are on a public right of way. Hell, lets go all out, you have the right to break and enter into any citizens residence or workplace and search through thier personal stuff at will.

You have the right to impose your belief system upon the entire population as the offically sactioned and state sponsored belief system. All other belief systems go to the back of the line.

You have the right to spy on everyone at will, especially if they are holding closed door meetings.

WACO in a nutshell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast