Can my HVAC be fixed??

I am looking at an investment property that has a dual HVAC Trane system sitting in the back of the house. Thieves have vandelized the unit for the copper. From what I can tell the heating side is ok and untouched. However, the AC side has the coils missing that are under the fan. Also, the copper lines have been cut to the "pot" that holds the coolent. Sorry, not sure the correct term, but it looks almost like an air tank so I am guessing that is where the freon goes.

I called an HVAC guy I have used in the past and he said you cannot repair something like that, but offered to replace the unit with a York for about $$$$$ (2.5 Ton unit).

I am sure it is just easier to replace, but is that really the case you cannot repair the unit? The unit appears to be new (within the last 5 years) so if I can spend under $$$$$ to repair, I would take the gamble I think.

Please let me know your thoughts? Thanks!
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 12-15-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseflipguy View Post
    I am looking at an investment property that has a dual HVAC Trane system sitting in the back of the house. Thieves have vandelized the unit for the copper. From what I can tell the heating side is ok and untouched. However, the AC side has the coils missing that are under the fan. Also, the copper lines have been cut to the "pot" that holds the coolent. Sorry, not sure the correct term, but it looks almost like an air tank so I am guessing that is where the freon goes.

I called an HVAC guy I have used in the past and he said you cannot repair something like that, but offered to replace the unit with a York for about $$$$$ (2.5 Ton unit).

I am sure it is just easier to replace, but is that really the case you cannot repair the unit? The unit appears to be new (within the last 5 years) so if I can spend under $$$$$ to repair, I would take the gamble I think.

Please let me know your thoughts? Thanks!
    First please posting rules; no pricing allowed.

The cost to replace a condensing coil would be more than an new unit or at least comparable.

It is possible to install a dry charge unit and keep the existing indoor equipment but not your best option in the long run. If this is property you are going to keep and rent it would make more sense to install matching equipment.

If you are flipping the property the dry charge unit is the least expensive route.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 12-15-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Pricing Removed

Yeah, what he said.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Without seeing it let me say..... anything can be fixed. If you spend enough money. But is it wise to do so? The answer is NO. That unit can and most likely will have bigger problems down the road from moisture, contamination, etc. Get a new one with a warranty.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

When you install a new unit have a welding shop fabricate and install security bars around the unit.It may not stop them,but it may slow them down.

A bit confused from his description is the heating part inside the house or are both parts one outside ? at any rate to repair this plus no telling what else is damaged would not be in you as a home owners best intrest .
    An air conditioning or refrigeration unit never signs a check for me! PEOPLE do that,and you should never allow yourself to forget that WE fix the problems of people,not machines.They are at the heart of our business,one way or another,and polishing the skills required to provide solid customer service will never be a waste of your time

Replace it. You'd spend as much repairing it with no garauntee of anything. With a complete new condensing unit you would at least get a warranty, some goodwill toward men and peace on earth. (after all it's Christmas isn't it?)
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT