Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Okay the HVAC tech/co owner just left ... Said that I have a leak in my condenser somewhere he could not find it because it was too cold could only get 59 psi into the system he said that he thinks it is in a coil in the condenser but that the compressor is shot. He also went into the attic and said that my drain was plugged up and that it was the most mold and mildew he has seen on the attic coils. He recommended a complete new system plus plune (??? ducts) for 4.7- 9 Grover Clevelands (Trane/American Standard respectively) and only if I purchased/installed this month (Dec 2011) He said if I wanted to cheap out he could replace just the condenser unit but that he would not clean coils over 7 years old. I think he said that he could attempt to spray sanitize the plune (??? ducts)? I think he mentioned that the plune (??? ducts) were porous so it does not work out well. Kinda bummed here.

Any recommendations on getting this system up and running with out mold and and mildew. Would replacing the outside condenser unit and attempting to clean the A coils suffice? -- There has to be a way to sufficiently clean mold and mildew off the A coils. I can't believe you can't (Note he did not say he could not but that he would not due to coils over 7 years)

The used unit from what I have been told is currently in use in a home and working he said that the HVAC tech will attempt to retain as much of the R22 in the unit before crimping it. Hopefully by crimping it will hold the charge in. Maybe the system failure was due tot he mold and mildew on the A Coils?

Kinda bummed needing to put on my thinking cap here Austin springs/summers are too hot to go without an AC

The sevice order/invoice states the following:

Diagnosed freon leak in condenser

System was empty

Recommend replacing system
    Last edited by forJAT; 12-16-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added notes

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    I've never heard of any unit sold today that only has a life of 7 years?? As for the used unit from the buddy, you kinda get what you paid for. It might work, or not. Does he let you have it installed and then pay him? Because if it does not work, you'd be stuck with two non-functioning AC units then. Are you near the coast, where salt would eat up the outside unit? Seven years?
    The current unit I have is a builder's grade carrier and from what I have been told is crap (see the first 2 replys of this post) I live in Austin, TX and the used unit is sight unseen a craigs list listing. Supposedly being sold due to upgrade. I have no "actual" proof it even works :/

can't edit my post to add this.

I was able to find this on Craigslist does this sound too good to be true?

3 TON COMPLETE SYSTEM EQUIPMENT ~ $XXXX.XX

OUTSIDE EQUIPMENT:

RUUD 3-ton A/C CONDENSER
    MODEL #: UAMB-036JAZCE
    R-22

INSIDE EQUIPMENT:

RUUD GAS FURNACE
    MODEL#: UGPH-07EAUER
    UPFLOW/HZ

MERIDIAN 3-ton A/C COILS
    MODEL#: ASLB36501
    R-22 / R-410a

***************** ALL NEW IN THE BOX *****************

(would listing the asking price for this craigslist listing be considered pricing? when all I want to know if it is a fair price?)

Stolen from what job site?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Stolen from what job site?
    Right, I found another system I am purchasing. Any opinions on keeping the same duct work I currently have? Being that the tech found mold and mildew in my handler? -- please see my other post http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post11958021

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123