Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Mods are going to freak out over those link/links, you need to remove those. If you replace the compressor you get a "one" year parts warranty, if you replace the whole unit you get 5 years compressor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thanks Bill -- Links removed ... okay my thinking was that if I bought the compressor only that I would not have to possibly change out anything in my attic. The unit I have has been discontinued (I wonder why).

Is it okay to just get a similar spec's condenser unit without having the attic portion replaced? -- don't laugh my knowledge of HVAC is limited and I have to say I am learning a lot.

Can it possibly be that the compressor is not the problem at all and that there is a system failure somewhere else? (as in another reason the refrigerant is not running through the lines?) --- I guess I will have to pay for another company to come out and do a diagnostics just hate to waste the $XXX fee for that. At least I can tell them that the capacitor does not need replacing LOL
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-14-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by forJAT View Post
    Is it okay to just get a similar spec's condenser unit without having the attic portion replaced?.
    Yes! they sell what we call "dry" units they are shipped without any refrigerant, we have changed out a lot of existing R-22 units with the dry units with 100% satisfaction and no call backs.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by forJAT View Post
    Can it possibly be that the compressor is not the problem at all and that there is a system failure somewhere else? (as in another reason the refrigerant is not running through the lines?)
    How do you know there is no refrigerant running through the system?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    How do you know there is no refrigerant running through the system?
    the copper lines are not cold at all (the ones in the attic and the ones going into the condenser unit). My wife runs the AC all the time I mean literally all the time. We have always had water coming out of the PVC pipe from our attic but that is not happening any more.

This is an assumption

Hire a compretant technician to troubleshoot the system and determine why it is not cooling and making so much noise. How unhappy will you be if you replace that condensing unit and find it was damaged due to a problem in the indoor unit?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

I have a HVAC tech coming out today I will keep you posted as to what the problem was.

Thanks for all of the input.

forJAT

The tech has not made it out yet due to rain. I wanted to ask the reliability of purchasing a 3 ton unit (same as mine just a year older (2002)) The AC is running in his house now he is upgrading to a 4 ton 410x refrigerant system. He is willing to sell me the complete unit Condenser Unit, Evaporating Coil Unit, and Furnace for 1/2 the price of a replacement compressor for my unit. He even stated that he would knock off 100 if I did not need the furnace.

My question is how reliable are transplanted AC units? My concern is the age of the system and surely replacing both the condenser unit and the evaporating coil unit should rectify the situation. The concern is that it is the same unit that I have now which is undoubtedly not a good unit. The tech that is coming out said that the unit I have has a life of about 7 years from what he has seen in the area. The price of the unit is what is attracting me even if I only get a few years out of it. My financial situation just does not allow for a brand new system to be bought and installed.

So any advice concerning buying a used unit? The individual selling the unit says he is replacing his 3 ton system because it is too small for his upstairs, 1960 sq ft.

I've never heard of any unit sold today that only has a life of 7 years?? As for the used unit from the buddy, you kinda get what you paid for. It might work, or not. Does he let you have it installed and then pay him? Because if it does not work, you'd be stuck with two non-functioning AC units then. Are you near the coast, where salt would eat up the outside unit? Seven years?

cant decide how your expenses are or how to spend you money only you know what you have to deal with
    IMO forget the used unit the cost make be less to buy but to have it installed may wind up costing you double

if you are looking at a few more years from what you have or to buy some time then replace the compressor
    sounds like a scroll compressor and the dizk has worn out
    if there are other problems they wont show up till the unit is pumping in most cases and can be addressed at that time

if you are low refrigerant and the leak is in the evap coil or some other expensive part then cut your losses and go with the used unit as long as you know it is running before it is removed and is still filled with refrigerant and the openings sealed
    good luck to ya

There is a big difference between PRICE and VALUE

If you go with the cheap, used unit, you might find the lowest price, but you will have a questionable value.

Buying a new system and having it installed properly will give you the best value for your dollars, now and in the future in energy costs.

when the tech replaced the capacitor did he check the refrigerant level

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast