Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor Problems and Hard Start recommended fix

Post Likes

Compressor Problems and Hard Start recommended fix

My AC unit has gone out. The outside condenser unit is making a god awful sound. The capacitor has been changed since the video below but it is still making the sound and not blowing cold air into the house.

Does this sound like a killed compressor from a prolonged system failure? I am trying to learn the industry terms and how an HVAC system runs. I have not run across any thing where the condenser is making this noise and don't think that a hard start kit will help it. Is this the sound of the compressor trying to compress liquid? Again I am trying to understand the mechanics of the compressor and not asking for DIY help just what could be wrong with it. I have come to terms that I need a new unit. I was just wondering if the advice on a Hard Start Kit installing from a tech is the way to go or should I just save that money and put it towards a new unit.

Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbvG...Z9fk2N8EFVqltD

AC Specs:

Carrier Model: 38BRc036330 (R-22)
    Last edited by forJAT; 12-14-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: update

Post Likes
    Probably one of those Carrier Millenium Compressors, if it is, you have been on borrowed time for probably 5 years.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Probably one of those Carrier Millenium Compressors, if it is, you have been on borrowed time for probably 5 years.
    If it is should I bypass the Hard Start Kit appt. tomorrow and just pick out another AC condensing unit? And I think it is safe to assume that I should not replace what I have with the same thing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by forJAT View Post
    If it is should I bypass the Hard Start Kit appt. tomorrow and just pick out another AC condensing unit?
    Well some compressors are just loud, like Bristols, yours sounds loud/bad but camera audio sometimes don't do things justice. How old is this unit? and if you change out the condenser, unless you go with the new 410A refrigerant type condenser and new evaporator coil inside,you will only be able to buy a builders grade R-22 condenser.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Also fyi, the start assist/hard start is not going to do anything for the run noise, it will still be noisy.

Post Likes
    Serial Number is 1303E45028 So I believe that it was manufactured in 2003. We moved into the house July 2003.

The correct model number is 38BRC036---331--- and this was/is a builders grade 3 ton unit (first owners of the house).

The noise coming from the condenser unit it loud as in you can hear it 3 houses away and I can hear it running in the kitchen through the Master Bedroom and the Living area.

Was told that it was a bad capacitor, per the test the fan portion of the capacitor was okay but the compressor part was dead. For more durability he replaced the 50/7.5 370 with a 50/7.5 440 capacitor it still made the noise and was told that it needed a hard start kit installed. I was also told that the loud noise was the compressor trying to kick on but not getting there. -- if allowed it will make the loud noise for 30 min so I don't think that it is it "trying" to kick on as I have read that there is a shut off on compressor so it does not burn up.

The camera audio does not give it justice it is louder than what was recorded.

Post Likes
    .For more durability he replaced the 50/7.5 370 with a 50/7.5 440 capacitor it still made the noise and was told that it needed a hard start kit installed. I was also told that the loud noise was the compressor trying to kick on but not getting there..
    Well in my personal opinion, someone is yanking your chain! Ask him if he installs the start assist and it still makes noise, will you give me credit for the first cap "you probably did not need" towards a new unit. Did you see him verify the MFD " micro farad" rating on the capacitor he took out with a meter?

Post Likes
    Also I am assuming that the problem lies in the condensing unit as the heater works.

Could a bad capacitor kill a compressor? I have read that compressors do not die but are killed due to system failure or from being over charged.

Post Likes
    Could a bad capacitor kill a compressor?.
    Yes it can, if left running to long on a lower/higher MFD cap. out of factory specs for that compressor.

Post Likes
    mr bill is right dont waist your money on a hard start wont help

look into a new unit where your money is better spent

Post Likes
    Well in my personal opinion, someone is yanking your chain! Ask him if he installs the start assist and it still makes noise, will you give me credit for the first cap "you probably did not need" towards a new unit. Did you see him verify the MFD " micro farad" rating on the capacitor he took out with a meter?
    I did see it on his meter it came up with nothing on the meter (his meter was strictly a MFD reader). I assumed that since it was not within the +/- 10% acceptable range it did not register on his meter.

I did a capacitance test of my own and got this:

Fan: 7.34 uf (consistently)

Herm:
    42.84 uf
    43.03 uf
    43.24 uf
    43.22 uf

I could not get a duplicate reading on it.

So you don't think that the loud noise is the compressor trying to turn over (turn on)?

Post Likes
    So you don't think that the loud noise is the compressor trying to turn over (turn on)?
    Unless someone is hearing something different from my 60 year old ears hear, that compressor in the video is running, compressor don't just sit and try and start for 30 minutes, unless you are trying to start them with an automotive type starter and it's out of gas.

Post Likes
    Okay from the limited information that I have given and been told I believe that it is safe to say that my AC does not work and that it is more than likely due to the compressor (due to the louder than normal noise that it is making when on) also because the refrigerant lines are not cold indicates a bad compressor or no charge at all in the system as in a leak.

Can I get by with buying the compressor noted below and then having a tech install it. I really can not afford to pay $Xk - $Xk to have a new AC unit installed. Or do I need to have the entire condensing unit replaced?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-14-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Link Correction

Post Likes
    The Mods are going to freak out over those link/links, you need to remove those. If you replace the compressor you get a "one" year parts warranty, if you replace the whole unit you get 5 years compressor.

Post Likes
    Thanks Bill -- Links removed ... okay my thinking was that if I bought the compressor only that I would not have to possibly change out anything in my attic. The unit I have has been discontinued (I wonder why).

Is it okay to just get a similar spec's condenser unit without having the attic portion replaced? -- don't laugh my knowledge of HVAC is limited and I have to say I am learning a lot.

Post Likes
    Can it possibly be that the compressor is not the problem at all and that there is a system failure somewhere else? (as in another reason the refrigerant is not running through the lines?) --- I guess I will have to pay for another company to come out and do a diagnostics just hate to waste the $XXX fee for that. At least I can tell them that the capacitor does not need replacing LOL
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-14-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

Post Likes
    Is it okay to just get a similar spec's condenser unit without having the attic portion replaced?.
    Yes! they sell what we call "dry" units they are shipped without any refrigerant, we have changed out a lot of existing R-22 units with the dry units with 100% satisfaction and no call backs.

Post Likes
    Can it possibly be that the compressor is not the problem at all and that there is a system failure somewhere else? (as in another reason the refrigerant is not running through the lines?)
    How do you know there is no refrigerant running through the system?

Post Likes
    How do you know there is no refrigerant running through the system?
    the copper lines are not cold at all (the ones in the attic and the ones going into the condenser unit). My wife runs the AC all the time I mean literally all the time. We have always had water coming out of the PVC pipe from our attic but that is not happening any more.

This is an assumption

Post Likes
    Hire a compretant technician to troubleshoot the system and determine why it is not cooling and making so much noise. How unhappy will you be if you replace that condensing unit and find it was damaged due to a problem in the indoor unit?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in