Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Securing outdoor unit (air conditioner or heat pump)

Post Likes

Question

I just had a new heat pump system installed .. reasonably pleased, but the outdoor unit doesn't seem very secure .. it's an Armstrong SHP13LE and it's sitting on two horizontal mounting poles.

How should this be secured? I want to call the installed back to secure it properly.

Thanks.
    S.

Post Likes
    This is Turtle.

You get a respectiable dealer to install your equipment for when you have a problem like this you call them and they come fix it. if you have a question you need to ask them about it.

TURTLE

Post Likes
    Is it hanging off a building? Most are installed on a concrete or pre-fab pad.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    you got a digital camera? A pic would be worth a 1000 words.

Post Likes
    Will post a picture tonight when I get home .. but it's mounted on the same poles that my old unit was mounted on .. difference is .. the old unit was secured to the poles with u-bolts. This unit is just sitting on top of the poles ..

The installer drilled metal screws into the bottom and tied these to the poles with some wire .. but that's not sufficient.

I have to believe there are preferred ways to secure a unit the poles that it's mounted on .. maybe some kind of strapping, or something else ..

Post Likes
    In addition to any manufacturer's instructions, the condenser attachment method is likely defined in your state's building code. If your installation requires inspection then the inspector should be verifying that yours is in compliance.

Post Likes
    Here are a few photos .. you can see the unit is secured to the poles only with a few machine screws and what looks like framing wire.

Left pole:

Right pole:

What is the right way to secure an outdoor unit to the poles?

Separately, this same outdoor unit frequently makes loud clink/clunk noises and whines or screeches/squeals .. should I be concerned with this?

Thanks guys. Your help is really appreciated.
    S.

Post Likes
    Condensers are designed to sit on flat surfaces, not brackets that look something like those on a fork-lift truck!

I would have installed a solid pre-fab pad on top of the support brackets, attaching it with U-bolts.

http://www.ndspro.com/Downloads/equip_pad_nov05.pdf

The condenser itself should be attached to the pad with factory hold-down clips. But that is what my state/municipality codes would require.

Post Likes
    In a cold climate, the pump shouldn't sit directly on a pad for drainage reasons. No idea where this job is.

We'd normally abandon that mount and put the unit on pad & pump ups on the ground. Probably not much clearance behind the big new unit. The control compartment is back right and looks to be murder to get at for service

Post Likes
    Job is in Ohio .. cold enough that good drainage is required.

I'm OK with the unit being mounted on the poles (the old unit was mounted on these same poles) .. just want to make sure it's secure and I don't remember how the old unit was secured ..

Other than the pre-fab pad that travis recommends, are there other acceptable methods of securing the unit?

Separately, this same outdoor unit frequently makes loud clink/clunk noises and whines or screeches/squeals .. should I be concerned with this?

Thanks.
    S.

[Edited by skipswift on 03-06-2006 at 09:34 AM]

Post Likes
    Good call on the service panel issue, OhBaldOne. I missed that completely. Check out the disconnect, too. I wonder if the electrical installation meets NEC 440.14?

That installation sure wouldn't make it by our city's inspectors!

Post Likes
    The service panel is actually on the outside left, fairly easy to access.

Post Likes
    At first glance I thought that was an A/S condenser.

I see from your first post that it really is an Armstrong SHP13LE. My bad.

[Edited by travisfl on 03-06-2006 at 10:04 AM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by skipswift
    An occasional clunk noise (when the compressor contactor pulls in) is normal. But if you are hearing LOUD noises when the system starts or stops that indicates something is amiss. It could be as simple as reverberation of the condenser housing because of the mounting method.

Screeches/squeals are definitely abnormal and indicate that something is rubbing. Again, it could be the mounting style or it could be something else.

Post Likes
    Will have to have them check it out then .. there's a loud clunk when the fan stops .. and occassionally it's accompanied by or immediately followed by a squeal.

S.

Post Likes
    I'd use u-bolts instead of that flimsy wire if you want to use those poles. JMO
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Why not mount the unit on a treated wood stand?
    Get it away from the wall a little and make it easier to service.
    4, salt treated 4x4's, a 2x10 for exterior band, and use the rest of the 2x10 for decking.
    Assemble all together and sink stand about 12" into the ground with a height of about 3-4 feet.

[Edited by chillbilly on 03-06-2006 at 02:25 PM]

Post Likes
    pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    I haven't installed one of them yet, older units were back right corner like A-S/Trane. Great to see them put the controls in a handy location!

BUT after looking at the unit on the web, I would expect controls are in a panel above the lineset entrance, just like A-S. That's back right. You might want to doublecheck! I don't think the defrost board, capacitors, contactor will fit in the left front corner.

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 03-06-2006 at 03:19 PM]

Post Likes
    Contractor on a budget

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in