Thread: Air tight home

Air tight home

With all the worry these days of enviromental contamonants and nuclear radiaion and such I have been contemplating what it would involve to make your house completly sealed fromany outside contaminants including nuclear plant accidents or even attack. I know it has been done on larger scales for protected govt. locations.I was thinking of a totally sealed envelope with controlled natural and machanical ventillation that can be controlled through dampers of some sort and what filters I would need and where to llook to get these things.Ive been thinking on this for years now and would like to know at least how to do it or where to start in case I want to pursue it in the future. Anyone ever done this kind of stuff or know anything about it that may help?

Quote Originally Posted by stickinit2thman View Post
    With all the worry these days of enviromental contamonants and nuclear radiaion and such I have been contemplating what it would involve to make your house completly sealed fromany outside contaminants including nuclear plant accidents or even attack. I know it has been done on larger scales for protected govt. locations.I was thinking of a totally sealed envelope with controlled natural and machanical ventillation that can be controlled through dampers of some sort and what filters I would need and where to llook to get these things.Ive been thinking on this for years now and would like to know at least how to do it or where to start in case I want to pursue it in the future. Anyone ever done this kind of stuff or know anything about it that may help?
    Its happening. The foam homes are typical of the super tight homes. The natural air change rates are as low as an air change in 24 hours. The sad part is that these homes do not have adequate fresh air ventilation or humidity control. Most of them are unhealthy to live in. Even the traditional moderately air tight homes do not enough fresh air during calm winds and typical outside temps.
    Ideally, most well built homes with an air change of filtered fresh make-up air in 4-5 hours will reduce any other air infiltration. Experts suggest using a whole house ventilating dehumidifier as a simple device to provide the level of air filtering, circulation, and dehumidification need to provide the ideal indoor inviroment. Ultra-Aire is one several brands.
    This video provides the details of the concept.
    http://video.webcasts.com/events/hunt001/39240/
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

homes need fresh air intakes. Indoor air quality can and may be worse in your home than the outdoor air.

The EPA came done pretty harsh on Duct Cleaning recently: http://epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

I haven't tried to dig up the studies data, but I wonder if a study just on modern air-tight homes would show a greater need for indoor air quality services.

I know and realize this but what I was aiming for was are there filers or methods available to protect ourselves on our homes in the event of a nuclear or biological emergency that will provide safe filtered air or recirculated filtered air with small amounts of outside/contaminated air and make it safe? And how do I find this specialized equipment?

Unless you're willing to invest in the same equipment submarines have to regenerate their contained air (not to mention the level of airtightness to completely isolate your house from outdoor air influence is difficult to achieve), I'd opt to work for a world where nuclear exchange and environmental pollution are less desirable possibilities. I can't say I'd want to be in a place where I'm forced to cocoon inside my house and constantly recycle my breath to survive. While that may be surviving, it's not living.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.