Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tricks for cleaning flame sensors on high eff. furnaces

hey everybody! So I am wondering if anyone has any good tricks to get at some of these flame sensors on the high efficency equip? IE: bryant 90+ models or the Lennox model with the rubber Tee for the venting that s in the way?

There has got to be an easy way to clean these things! i have a flex shaft and a small right angle driver attachment that helps but it can still be a pain! Whoot! 15 posts!!

On the lennox units I found for me it is best the take out the rubber tee and use a socket but others may disagree

For the Carrier and Bryant, I bought a PVC cutter that cuts 2" pipe. I carry a bunch of 2" couplings, and cut the intake for better access.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIABEPMCMAQ

Sometimes you have to take the gas line apart, too. I hate that furnace!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixitright View Post
    On the lennox units I found for me it is best the take out the rubber tee and use a socket but others may disagree

this is our mfr, so we see a lot of these.

we always b!tch out the rep when they bring out the new units like this.

easiest is as stated, remove boot and sometimes gas line.

come across a couple of the Carriers, one left and one right vented. the right vented was okay, but the left vented was next to impossible. also, the downflows are not fun either. one on our maintenance program and I have skipped doing FS on it, luckily others have come in between my visits. hope they did it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Ha! try replacing the ignitor when the intake is on the right side!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixitright View Post
    Did that today. Only using a flexshaft driver. I think I have to agree removing the boot is the easiest. I tend to put a cloth in the ventor opening as I once dropped a screw in there, bad scene!

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Ouch! Ya I can imagine that would suck a lot!

On the Bryant/carriers I try to either remove the screw and move the intake or I just use a flashlight and either the Milwaukee right angle driver attachment or a flexshaft attachment and a lot of patience!! wish they would design these things with some mind to service too!

You got that right, I had to change one on a horizontal installation where the vent pipe exited out what would be the right side, and to add insult to injury it was suspended to the ceiling in a garage so I had to do it from a ladder.

cut pvc and a 2in furnco..

Carrier / Bryant sucks. Engineers have no idea what service guy's have to go thru. 40,000 btu you have to pull intake. Love when the installers silycone fitting.
    There is no bad beer, some just taste better than others.

Someone told me once, and I would like someone to back up the claim, that Bryant over-engineered the flame sensors so that they expand when heated and will self clean. Since I don't have any concrete answer to this I keep cleaning them. I would LOVE for him to be right though!

Quote Originally Posted by DeHeatify View Post
    Someone told me once, and I would like someone to back up the claim, that Bryant over-engineered the flame sensors so that they expand when heated and will self clean. Since I don't have any concrete answer to this I keep cleaning them. I would LOVE for him to be right though!
    Takes a half hour, but good money.
    There is no bad beer, some just taste better than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast