Thread: RSES CM/CMS

RSES CM/CMS

With the surge of NATE being widely recognized in our industry for technical excellence, I was wondering why should one seek the RSES CM/CMS status and is the test geared towards real time technical issue's?

The NATE certifications, from what I understand (I do not hold any) are a baseline certification. They indicate that a person should know the basics of system operation and how to troubleshoot them.

The CM/CMS certifications are advanced certifications. The tests are quite difficult and require a different level of mastery of the trade.

Once you become a Pro Member on this site, there are a series of practice test questions for the CM in the Educational Forums.

I took and passed the CM mostly as a personal goal. Am working towards a CMS now.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The NATE certifications, from what I understand (I do not hold any) are a baseline certification. They indicate that a person should know the basics of system operation and how to troubleshoot them.

The CM/CMS certifications are advanced certifications. The tests are quite difficult and require a different level of mastery of the trade.

Once you become a Pro Member on this site, there are a series of practice test questions for the CM in the Educational Forums.

I took and passed the CM mostly as a personal goal. Am working towards a CMS now.
    I would agree, obtain both

I took the CM exam mainly as a personal goal. I've also taken NATE. CM was far more involved and much more broad in scope concerning HVAC/R than NATE. Passing a CM exam is a major accomplishment. Less than 20% of those who try pass it on first attempt actually do so.

The benefits of holding a CM designation have been both tangible and intangible for me. One of the tangible aspects is that on the year I took the test, I scored the highest grade for the year in all of RSES. My employer really liked that and sent me all-expense paid to the RSES International Conference in Indianapolis that year to receive an award for the highest grade. While there I learned just how fun and educational an RSES conference can be. I met folks from all over the country, and Canada, and there's instant rapport with others who hold CM designation. This is more of the intangible stuff...meeting good people, fun, fellowship, etc. Something it seems harder for younger techs to grasp...I know I sort of blew it off when I was younger, but have since come around.

General announcement: my region of RSES (Region 10, SWRA) will be holding a conference in Round Rock, Texas on March 1-3, 2012. I will be teaching a CM Exam Prep class, which I taught this past March at the SWRA conference in Fort Worth. Any RSES member reading this who may be in or near Texas in March and would like to take a CM exam, we'd love to see you at the conference. You don't need to be in Region 10 to attend.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Shophound

I scored the highest grade for the year in all of RSES.
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Is this why you have the wise old owl as your trademark?

I like the distinction you make between the base line for NATE and the advanced
    (more commercial perhaps?) for RSES
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

I have to agree that the CM/CMS test is the Mecca of all HVACR tests. Several years ago I took level III and it was an incredibly difficult test, however I have also taken several NATE exams and I certainly would'nt say they are baseline test's.

I have been in this trade since 1982, some commercial/industrial but mostly residential. I consider a journeymans certification as a baseline,but they were all difficult in their own way, but I hold the NATE exams right up there with all of them, as well as the master's test's I have taken over the years.

My experience as a member of RSES with training/testing is this is a much more indepth level of this trade that in my opinion seems more on the engineering level. Maybe you commercial tech's need to have a higher level of expertise than I do, due to the equipment you work on, but I believe we need both RSES and NATE certifications to give us all something to strive for. That being said, I have been studying for my CM test, and I plan on achieving my goal in 2012!

Please don't label NATE tests and specialties as baseline! This is not the truth!!

Do a search of RSES CM. There are plenty of threads about rses and the CM test/certification. RSES-an organization that exists to train the technician- hmmmm I can't think of another organization like that. Maybe because there isn't one!!! Technicians educating and helping other technicians. Mostly volunteer, grass roots. Non profit. Thank God for Rses, my life would be very different without Rses.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Thanks for all the replies, I am motivated to take the CM/CMS test as a personal goal!
    Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions!!!

The CM or CMS after a persons name is considered equivalent to a 2 year degree in Hvac/ Refrigeration.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    The CM or CMS after a persons name is considered equivalent to a 2 year degree in Hvac/ Refrigeration.
    Just curious. Where did you hear or read this?

As one has several cms certs. I've never seen this documented.
    Last edited by dawgtchrr; 02-11-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: grammer
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    The Dewalt NATE study guide, used the analogy that a Nate certification was like having a bachelors degree in hvac, the cm is like having a masters degree, and the cms is like having a phd.

I've met a few guys fresh out of school with hvac associates, and I would bet that most of them would fail a nate specialty test if they took it before they started working in the field.

I only have a nate certification, passing the cm/cms tests is something I would like to do eventually, but if those tests are as difficult as most people say, then I know I'm gonna have to hit the books pretty hard.