I hope this doesnt turn into a novel! I got out of the Marine Corps 2 1/2 years ago and tried various things until I managed to get a job in the HVAC field. Recently I joined the National Guard to get a retirement plan going, and found out that they have full time positions available. Basically what I am trying to decide here is one of two options. One, I stay where I am and eventually make enough to buy my own insurance, maybe make enough to buy a home, but its going to take several more years. Two, I can get one of the full time positions with the Guard, have full bennies and retirement, and start at what I will max out at doing HVAC work. I love the HVAC field, love the work, and love the company I work for. But I also loved working on jets and was really good at it. Both jobs have downsides, and both have their ups. I have no real ties where I am other than family. I just turned 27 so I feel like I need to get serious and settle into a career. I have learned early that life is not always a bowl of peaches, and that money doesnt buy happiness. I just know money helps lubricate life! Im just hoping maybe some of you guys might offer me some advice. The internet is fairly anonymous, I cant ask anyone I know around here without it getting back to my employer! Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

how much would u make in the guard and what hours would u have there

I would start out at $19.21 an hour. Its just an 8 hour a day job. There is overtime if you deploy, but they only deploy in 90 day chunks. I personally dont see any reason that I couldnt start out at 21-22 an hour but 19 an hour would be a blessing!