Trane Comfortlink II t-stat zone wiring ability?

If I were to upgrade to the new Trane Comfortlink II thermostat.. can it also control a zone damper in another room?

I noticed this new thermostat has nice zone control abilities.

Currently I have a standard Trane communicating thermostat in the main room near the return air, and I have another "dumb zone damper" thermostat in an enclosed patio room.

It would be nice if I could remove the 2nd zone damper thermostate, replace it with a temp sensor, and just use a new Trane Comfortlink II thermostat to control both the main area and the damper zone.

You would need the zone controller to do that. The stat by itself doesnt have that ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

My understanding of zone controllers is that they are taditionally installed with multiple dampers plus a bypass. In my case.. when all I want to do is open or close a single damper for an extra room.. does Trane have a simple controller product that can do this without having to add more dampers or mess around with extra details that go beyond my simple setup?

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionLeather View Post
    My understanding of zone controllers is that they are traditionally installed with multiple dampers plus a bypass. In my case.. when all I want to do is open or close a single damper for an extra room.. does Trane have a simple controller product that can do this without having to add more dampers or mess around with extra details that go beyond my simple setup?
    It sounds like you have an XC95M and XL20i or a TAM8/4TEE3C with XL20i correct?

The Trane zoning requires a Trane specific communicating zone panel that does not usually require a bypass due the pressure sensors. However if you want to open airflow to only one room that can create a lot of pressure and may not work with your current ducting design. The XL950 when coupled with the zone panel will allow you to control other rooms based on sensors in those rooms. I will be posting a YouTube video of this on my channel either tomorrow or Thursday so stay tuned to see how it works.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

I have the XL20i with XC80. Actually the ducts are always open completely in the main area, and there is one extra room where I like to control a damper.

Your upcoming YouTube video sounds interesting..

You could install a slave damper to do only that area. It would NOT CONTROL the system, only the air to that room.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    You could install a slave damper to do only that area. It would NOT CONTROL the system, only the air to that room.
    That sounds like what I'm aiming for.

So it would be ideal if the Trane Comfortlink II thermostat would control the main area, plus it would adjust the air damper to the extra room.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionLeather View Post
    I have the XL20i with XC80. Actually the ducts are always open completely in the main area, and there is one extra room where I like to control a damper.

Your upcoming YouTube video sounds interesting..

Video is done, I tried to get some footage of the thermostat so you can see what features it has for zoning. PM me if you have any questions.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!