Thread: New blower motor vs. new furnace

Post Likes

New blower motor vs. new furnace

My furnace servicing for the season revealed that the 1996 carrier gas furnace was locked out on limit code 33, primary limit open. capacitor out of range and blower motor bearings are bad. Tech said that I could replace the blower motor for $XXX or buy a new furnace for $XXXX. He quoted carrier infinity 80 110,000 BTU. No load calculations. My house is 3900 sqft ( 1300/floor- 2 story with finished basement) in Ohio.

This company put in my 3 Ton Lennox ac unit and I have not been happy in the summer - but I feel stuck with them. Current furnace has left us cold - warm air/cold air never seems to get to the farthest bedroom. Tech said the bigger blower motor would help with the heat and a/c to that room...

If I replace the blower motor and capacitor am I throwing my money away- or should I just replace the entire unit . I am thinking Rheem 80% type has decent reviews...I will not buy a lennox so my A/C/ unit will not match my furnace ( doesn't now anyway).
    Last edited by Stamas; 12-13-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Post Likes
    whuttodo

I assume you are grossly undersized on your AC unit.

For Ohio, why would you not go 95%+ efficiency on new furnace?

$XXX for blower motor includes installation?

Any other historical problems with existing furnace? It is 15 yrs old.

I would want heat exchanger checked if you intend to just replace motor.

Post back.

IMO
    Last edited by Stamas; 12-13-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Same. Please don't quote pricing.

Post Likes
    Yes my AC is bad. When it is 90 outside I can't get the house to cool below 78..the company listens to me complain every August. I had an second quote when picking the ac and that company calculated 3.5 ton based on window sizes that they measured...

Post Likes
    How do I delete mentions of $ from my post? Sorry.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whuttodo View Post
    My furnace servicing for the season revealed that the 1996 carrier gas furnace was locked out on limit code 33, primary limit open. capacitor out of range and blower motor bearings are bad. Tech said that I could replace the blower motor for or buy a new furnace for . He quoted carrier infinity 80 110,000 BTU. No load calculations. My house is 3900 sqft ( 1300/floor- 2 story with finished basement) in Ohio.

This company put in my 3 Ton Lennox ac unit and I have not been happy in the summer - but I feel stuck with them. Current furnace has left us cold - warm air/cold air never seems to get to the farthest bedroom. Tech said the bigger blower motor would help with the heat and a/c to that room...

If I replace the blower motor and capacitor am I throwing my money away- or should I just replace the entire unit . I am thinking Rheem 80% type has decent reviews...I will not buy a Lennox so my A/C/ unit will not match my furnace ( doesn't now anyway).
    Rheem does make a vary good product, try looking at the dealer locator in the index and see if there is a dealer near you.

If you post does not say edit in bottom right try by quoting and edit or eventually a Mod will come along

Post Likes
    Thanks for the edit tip- I think I am going to just replace the 1/2 HP blower motor and capacitor- unless the over heating might have caused other problems??

The tech tossed my red 3M filter to try and keep the furnace from overheating and also opened up all of the air vents in the basement...Could I have burned my motor up with the pricey filter? As a side note- the furnace was extra dusty because my husband has his chop saw in the basement and put in hardware flooring in an upstairs hallway.

Post Likes
    The 3M filter could be part of why you can't cool the house. Keep them out of there. Buy a cheap pleated filter and change often with hubby playing with the sawdust.

Next door in Indiana, the "typical" 2600 sq ft home would be on the border of 3 ton and 3.5 ton depending upon amount of windows and direction they face. Often the top floor is hot regardless of size of unit and going bigger can make that worse not better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whuttodo View Post
    Yes my AC is bad. When it is 90 outside I can't get the house to cool below 78..the company listens to me complain every August. I had an second quote when picking the ac and that company calculated 3.5 ton based on window sizes that they measured...

Has the current system EVER kept the house cool?

Does it cool at all or is it totally dead?

Post Likes
    My AC works best after the sun load is gone. When we entertain I shut off the vents to the 2nd floor and try and cool the house before everyone comes. If it's 95 deg . F plus I can only get the house to 78 deg.F- never any cooler. We have had the tech.out the first 2 cooling seasons- a blown fuse each season( in the a/c elec. box on the outside of the house- tech had to order the part). He asked if my house was hit by lightening. (no) I keep the a/c set at 70 for the summer.

Post Likes
    So, the AC unit runs, but does not keep temperature? Do I understand that correctly?

I would be asking some very pointed questions about WHY this is.

Have airflow and system charge been verified by a technician?

IF you are not comfortable or happy with the install that this company did, DO NOT give them any more of your money.

Depending on where you are located, exactly, you could look at the AOP Contractor Locator Map in my signature and try to find a good contractor in your area. We have some very good guys in Ohio.

Post Likes
    I wanted to add some thoughts, here.

Aside from proving that the HVAC system is functioning properly, you also need to take a look at the building itself.

Is it well insulated? Properly sealed?

A home energy audit by a qualified company may also help you to obtain the comfort that you seek.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in