Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jed1154 View Post
    .......What about research for new AC units...as in "i am considering brand X, model Y, are these reliable or not?"
    I'm not a moderator but I'd say of course you can ask about brand x vs brand y. Thousands of people ask those questions here.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Ask them why none of them noticed this before during any of the check ups.
    That is what I was wondering!!

No customer on a service/maintenance plan with our co. has a blower that looks that bad, it gets cleaned long before it reaches that point.

I'm thinking what does you annual inspection cover ,as if you have a maintenance agreement with us we clean the coils as part of the maintenance we do charge to pull and clean the blower

It's inexpensive and give me free tuneups. It gives me a discount on repair parts but mostly it puts me at the top of the list for repairs in 24 hours
    Or less. No cool cleaning is part of it.

I am having it cleaned now. They are telling me that I should NOT use the cheapest fiberglass filters downstairs because they aren't 'good enough'. Now, I use those because in the past, I was specifically told to use them because I had a huge box filter in the air handler that did the heavy filtering work and if I put anything other than a cheap fiberglass filter downstairs, it would restrict air flow and cause the unit to work harder.

Now, I dont want to argue with anyone about it, but I do want you guys opinion on what kind of filter I should use in my air return knowing I have a 50 (or whatever it costs) dollar box filter installed in the unit itself.

After looking at it more closely, they believe its the black 'batting' inside the unit there that is becoming brittle and falling onto and into the blower fan. It looks liek black insulation or sound deadening material...you guys know what it is I think...it looks like fiberglass but I dont know if it is. He said he could remove it out of the unit...which I declined. I feel its supposed to be there for a reason, and Lennox likes it there.

So...I was told to use a 'middle of the line' NON pleated filter downstairs. I have no idea what that really means.

But, what is yall's opinion on this? I do understand that all techs are different and everyone has different levels of experience and thus recommendations, and I have no problem with that. So, what say you....if not a cheap fiberglass filter in combination with my box filter...then what?

If you have a 4" media filter at the unit. You don't want to use anything but those see through fiberglass filters at the filter grille. Anything better, will hurt your return air.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have a 4" media filter at the unit. You don't want to use anything but those see through fiberglass filters at the filter grille. Anything better, will hurt your return air.

too much filter is bad.

i have been selling and servicing Lennox for a long time, never saw the insulation break down and cause whats in your picture.

The black insulation on the top and bottom of where the blower sits was brittle and broke all to pieces when he tried to clean it. ??????

Needs to be replaced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ill have to specifically ask them to replace it then. He didn't know IF it could be replaced or who would have it, nor did he make a suggestion that it should be replaced. Ill inquire further.

Quote Originally Posted by jed1154 View Post
    I am having it cleaned now. They are telling me that I should NOT use the cheapest fiberglass filters downstairs because they aren't 'good enough'. Now, I use those because in the past, I was specifically told to use them because I had a huge box filter in the air handler that did the heavy filtering work and if I put anything other than a cheap fiberglass filter downstairs, it would restrict air flow and cause the unit to work harder.

Now, I dont want to argue with anyone about it, but I do want you guys opinion on what kind of filter I should use in my air return knowing I have a 50 (or whatever it costs) dollar box filter installed in the unit itself.

After looking at it more closely, they believe its the black 'batting' inside the unit there that is becoming brittle and falling onto and into the blower fan. It looks liek black insulation or sound deadening material...you guys know what it is I think...it looks like fiberglass but I dont know if it is. He said he could remove it out of the unit...which I declined. I feel its supposed to be there for a reason, and Lennox likes it there.

So...I was told to use a 'middle of the line' NON pleated filter downstairs. I have no idea what that really means.

But, what is yall's opinion on this? I do understand that all techs are different and everyone has different levels of experience and thus recommendations, and I have no problem with that. So, what say you....if not a cheap fiberglass filter in combination with my box filter...then what?
    As others have stated,"you do not need additional filters installed in your system.

Each time you ad something to the airstream, you are adding restrictions to the airflow that is more than likely over restrictive as is without any filter installed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123