Most important things to know about ducts

1st time post, long time browser. I am an apprentice for a company that does it all (hvac, refrigeration, electrical, appliances, plumbing, geo-thermal) and have been looking for a place in the company to make an impact in. I feel that the air distribution system is just that, as this company is focused more on equipment than on perfecting a "system". Yes, I am fresh out of a trade school, but want the important fundamentals of this trade embedded in my training. That said, I was taught that an hvac system is only as good as it's air distribution system and I want to focus my "free time learning" on this particular aspect. So... What do YOU consider to be the most important aspects to understand about the air distribution system aside from the metal fab itself (i.e. balancing, calculating, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

ACCA Manual "D" and Manual "T" is a good start. Software such as Wrightsoft is another invaluable tool for residential duct sizing. WrightSoft can be upgraded to handle Manuals N, N5, & Q for commercial.

Look into TABB or ICB classes to possibly become certified.

Yeah, know the acca manuals well enough to apply. They make it easy and work you thru examples. With that knowledge, you can design a properly functioning system or find the problem(s) on one that exists. My local utility gives classes on J,D,S,&T, maybe yours does to.

An incomplete understanding might make you look like a one trick pony. Don't be one of those guys who makes the problem fit the solution.

Buy the books.

Hey Eli

Sounds from your name choice you wanted to be an electrician!

The object of the exercise is to get the air to squirt out the holes!

Too much to write, but check my profile and feel free to contact me off line.

Mike
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Eli, get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership so you can access the pro only forums & the educational forums. Also, you would be amazed at what you can find with google, if you play with the search words enough. Training videos on air flow etc....
    And it's not just the ducts, it's the diffusers also. I've been reading up on air delivery alot lately myself. Here is a good article on diffusers. http://www.krueger-hvac.com/lit/pdf/epricad.pdf
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

The biggest problem with ducts is you can't see the air going through. Think of air as water, you can see it, they are both fluids. Now think about how all the different fittings are going to affect that fluid movement, cause turbulance, etc. To me that's teh key.

Thanks

Thanks to those who replied. ACCA Manuals D & T are now on my priority "get list".