View Poll Results: Do you trust your Micron Gauge?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course.

46 54.76%
  • No, but I use one.

22 26.19%
  • Never though about it, but I use one.

10 11.90%
  • I don't use one.

4 4.76%
  • I don't pull a vacuum.

2 2.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Do you trust your Micon Gauge. WHY?

Do you trust your micron gauge? I did, until I hooked 4 of them up and checked them against each other. Now I'm unsure. My method has some flaws. I'll work out some of the kinks the next time around. The units I have are the JB DV-22N, Fieldpiece SMAN3, JB DV-40, and the Yellow Jacket DRSA with the 69087 sensor. I pulled these right off the tool room shelf just as we would use them. Hooked them up to a couple of tee's on a recovery tank and used my JB-142n to pull a vacuum on it.

Time DV-22N, SMAN3, DV-40, YP 69087
    Start Vacuum Pump
    9:00 AM 1, OL, OOO, OOR

First reading. Close Isolation valve.
    9:07 AM 1, OL, 8500, 21000
    9:10 AM 1, OL, 5000, 17000
    9:15 AM 8500, OL, 3100, 8500

Begin Vacuum Again
    9:16 AM 4250, 6000, 1550, 3800

SMAN3 Shows Micron Reading. Close Isolation Valve
    9:20 AM 4000, 3500, 1371, 2900
    9:51 AM 3150, 1753, 1014, 1600

Start Pump Again 9:52

Close Isolation Valve
    9:55 AM 925, 992, 388, 580
    10:00 AM 950, 1009, 408, 580

Start Pump Again 10:01

Close Isolation Valve and let sit.
    10:10 AM 329, 451, 200, 280
    10:24 AM 404, 547, 240, 320
    10:35 AM 463, 612, 267, 340

Any thoughts?
    I'll clean them before I do this again. Hopefuly I'll have the BluVac by then.

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=849872

Have you seen this thread? Im looking for the video I did...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I did. That thead and not having my micron gauge and using my SMAN3 to measure my vacuum inspired me to check the tools I have. I am going to check the two DV-22Ns I have against each other. I don't think I'll be using the DV-40 anymore.

Dan

Here is the link to my youtube page.

Micron gauges drive me crazy..

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I did. That thead and not having my micron gauge and using my SMAN3 to measure my vacuum inspired me to check the tools I have. I am going to check the two DV-22Ns I have against each other. I don't think I'll be using the DV-40 anymore.

Dan
    I have heard the DV's were not so great. There were issues where they did not go to atmosphere when taken off a system..

Play around switching the order of the gauges on the manifold see if it makes a difference. As you can see in the video on that small split system I was working on the pump played a HUGE role on the actual micron reading.

Also keep in mind the more volume, the more stable the readings will be. That is what I was attempting to accomplish with the 2 refrigerant tanks..

I have the yellow jacket digital gauges, CPS and JB Micron Gauges. All read different #'s. however the digital gauges read 28+ inch Mercury when I have a real van, oddly enough of I wait till I get 28+ on both sides of the system my JB reads 300 every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I have heard the DV's were not so great. There were issues where they did not go to atmosphere
    the bluvac i used to own was notorious for this. it was explained to me why this was but i never liked to see it. it didn't sit right

I tried several before I finally settled on the old-school Thermal Engineering thermistor vacuum gauge. I am skeptical of all digitals... Haven't found one I like yet.

I trust the Thermal Eng. because it gives me repeatable readings on systems that I know to be tight.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    the bluvac i used to own was notorious for this. it was explained to me why this was but i never liked to see it. it didn't sit right
    On the bluvac you experienced this? What was the explanation you were given? I have not had all that much field use with it compared to my other gauges but I did experience it saying it needed to be calibrated, then it showed cal good. I was told possible refer in the sensor. I have not used it since so time will tell how it stands..

Quote Originally Posted by Epicfail View Post
    I have the yellow jacket digital gauges, CPS and JB Micron Gauges. All read different #'s. however the digital gauges read 28+ inch Mercury when I have a real van, oddly enough of I wait till I get 28+ on both sides of the system my JB reads 300 every time.
    Different numbers is one thing, but the two JBs and the two digital are way off.
    That DV-40 is less than a year old. I've seen it read 190 microns isolated for 20 min on a system with ab oil in it. Like a politician, telling me things to good to be true. In my opinion the DV-22N and the SMAN3 are the two I have the most faith in. I'm going to check my DV-22n against the one at work.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    The BluVac, like *every* HVAC electronic micron gauge, utilizes thermal conductivity (TC) of gas to measure vacuum. The TC of refrigerant is different than air, especially at high pressure (ATM).

Every gauge, including the Thermal Engineering analog, will show a slow return to atmosphere when exposed to refrigerant (as the refrigerant is replaced with air). The BluVac is not *notorious* for this. Every other gauge will show the same effect.

The effect is not so obvious on the TE for two reasons:

1. The response time of the TE is very slow anyway. It takes time for the needle to move from low pressure, giving refrigerant time to be replaced by air. The BluVac's response is instantaneous, it reflects the actual TC of the gas in the sensor at any instant in time.

2. On the TE, any pressure above 5K microns is reflected as "ATM" on the analog scale. 100% 134A gas will bring the needle down to just about 5K.

Don't take my word for it. Take *any* micron gauge that utilizes thermistor, thermocouple, or Pirani technology, squirt 100% *gas* refrigerant into the sensor, and look at the reading!

have checked fieldpiece, yellow jacket, bluvac on manifold, all are different but within a few hundred. so which one is right, the longer they sit at a steady state the closer the readings. the bluvac is the fastest and my personal favorite, but how do i prove it is the the most accurate,,

Change the ambient temperature
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast