Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Hyperion series 7 vs. 8

I live in Arizona and I am putting in Trane 20XLi heat pumps. My contractor is proposing to match them with the Series 7 Hyperion air handler. I am wondering if that is appropriate for a 20i and whether instead he should be matching it with the series 8 instead.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

thanks.

with the tam 8 it would be fully communicating that's what I would want

TAM8's are slowly rolling out across the country but they may not be available in his area yet. I don't think we have any locally stocked in my area yet. I think It would be worth the wait for it though if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Will the 8 work with all outdoor units? In the past the 4TEEC worked with all A/Cs but only the communicating 20i heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    TAM8's are slowly rolling out across the country but they may not be available in his area yet. I don't think we have any locally stocked in my area yet. I think It would be worth the wait for it though if you can.
    Do you mean that my contractor can order it if it is not stocked locally and it just might take a little longer? I am in no special rush. The current units work and I just want to replace them this winter before the hot weather hits. So a delay of a few days or a couple of weeks would be no big deal.

I would think he could order it if you're able to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Will the 8 work with all outdoor units? In the past the 4TEEC worked with all A/Cs but only the communicating 20i heat pump.

That is incorrect I have used many 4TEEC units with XR15s and XB14's because they got better numbers than the 4TEEF units

In my area the TAM8 is not yet available and the TAM7 gets great HSPF numbers so it's kinda a trade off. 9.5HSPF and communicating or 10HSPF and non communicating. What is the tonnage of your unit?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Am I remembering it wrong? Maybe it was communicating gas furnaces that didn't work with standard heat pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    That is incorrect I have used many 4TEEC units with XR15s and XB14's because they got better numbers than the 4TEEF units

In my area the TAM8 is not yet available and the TAM7 gets great HSPF numbers so it's kinda a trade off. 9.5HSPF and communicating or 10HSPF and non communicating. What is the tonnage of your unit?
    one 5 ton unit and one 2 ton unit

BaldLoonie the tam8 comes shipped for communicating only with Trane or American Standard equipment but there is a 24v accessory kit and can adapt to other 24v equipment.

Thanks everyone. My contractor is switching me to the Hyperion 8 series and we are upgarding the thermostat to the XL900.

get the xl950 thermostat! much nicer and way more options then the 900

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    get the xl950 thermostat! much nicer and way more options then the 900
    Quote Originally Posted by JusTRANEing View Post
    Deleted Quoted text
    Umm, have you guys been reading the problems with these stats? I have a few installed on communicating systems and :crossing fingers: they have been working but the non communicating systems... I stopped selling them until Trane works out the bugs. Yes they are amazing and look cool but they need some slight refinement and with the new B models they are supposed to work finally.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Am I remembering it wrong? Maybe it was communicating gas furnaces that didn't work with standard heat pumps.
    Yes the XC95M furnaces did not work with standard heat pumps without relay kits.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-13-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Edit QUote
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast