Dormont brand ventless gas fireplace started kicking off and back on...

I have a Dormont brand natural gas ventless fireplace. It was installed in my house when I bought it new in Aug 2009. I used the fireplace the winters of 2009 and 2010. Previously, it never kicked off... I had to manually shut it off when I was done with it.

This fall when I started using it, it is acting differently. It will run for about 10 minutes, then kick off, then after it cools off for about 10 minutes, it will automatically kick back on.

The pilot light never goes out (unless I manually shut it off), and when the fireplace is "kicked off", no gas is emitted (it is safe).

It seems like there is a thermostat that has suddenly become more sensitive or something like that.

I'm not sure what "normal operation" should be. Is this fireplace operating normally now, and the last two years something was stuck? Or has something gone bad and now it's not working right?

If something has gone bad, can someone direct me on how to fix it?

Thanks!
    John Thomas

Dormont makes flexible gas connectors. Never heard of them making appliances, much less ventfree. Have a pro check it out. Shouldn't mess around with ventfree on a good day. One operating abnormally is a red flag. May just be the sensor bulb's location but call a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Dormont makes flexible gas connectors. Never heard of them making appliances, much less ventfree. Have a pro check it out. Shouldn't mess around with ventfree on a good day. One operating abnormally is a red flag. May just be the sensor bulb's location but call a pro.
    Hearthman,

Thanks for the reply... I found that "Dormnont" tag on the connector, and assumed that was the fireplace brand. I can't find any other brand name info.

John Thomas

Well, if you cannot find a rating plate you must treat it like an unlisted appliance and have it removed. VF is nothing to play around with. Call a pro.

By law there is supposed to be a metallic rating plate either pop riveted or on a steel leash or chain. Keep looking.
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Well, if you cannot find a rating plate you must treat it like an unlisted appliance and have it removed. VF is nothing to play around with. Call a pro.

By law there is supposed to be a metallic rating plate either pop riveted or on a steel leash or chain. Keep looking.
    HTH
    How about this: CFM U.S. Corporation, Huntinginton, IN, Majestic model VL24RN

I'd at least like to find a owner's manual for it, so I can read how it's supposed to operate. My concern is that it was operating improperly when it wouldn't kick off, and is now operating as it should.

Generally speaking, do these ventless fireplaces kick off and on?

Thanks,
    John Thomas

Cool

If it has a hydraulic bulb it will operate as a thermostatic control. Otherwise, it should run continuously until someone turns it off or the Oxygen Depletion Sensor safety pilot shuts off. An ODS shutoff will shutoff the pilot and burner--not just the burner.

What type of fireplace is this installed in? Masonry or factory built and if factory built, you need to find the make and model.

Thanks for the info... it's a pre-fabricated type fireplace insert (not real brick and mortar). It's kind of like panels that look like brick.

Exclamation fire hazard

That's what I was afraid of. If this unit was not tested and listed for ventfree logs then you could burn your house down. You REALLY need to locate that identification plate to get the make and model and hopefully mfg date or date code (usually 4 digits). look inside behind the mesh curtains, across the smoke shield and inside L&R above the brick panels towards the front. Its there.

I can assure you if it is a Heatilator or Heat & Glo, it has not been tested or approved for VF and WILL burn your house down. Find out before continued use.