Thread: Taco zvc 406

Taco zvc 406

Hi,
    I have a question I feel silly asking, I am currently rewiring a boiler. Its a auto mag system that was in need of a redo. We are putting in erie two wire zone valves, honeywell t-stats in two zones and lux in the other two. I have run an individual wire from each t-stat down into the relay. The zone valves are quite a distance away and it would be really nice to run a 18-6 over and pick them all up on one wire. I have done it on the thermostat side, but on the zone valve side I got worried. Can I tie one wire from each zone valve to one common wire, and then the other zone valve wire to one of the other five wires. Should I jumper from zone to zone in the relay, or is it sufficient to just hook one up?? I got worried about the two transformers, does each one control three zones or are they wired together to power all the zones. I have always run a wire to each zone valve, but on this job it would be really nice to reduce the number of wires. I know I need to jumper the third and fourth terminal for the two wire zone valves, and was going to jumper between each zone the wire that is tied to all the zone valves. I hope this makes sense???? Thanks for any help, this place needs it. The power vent went out under a deck with bushes inches away, they had to silicone the windows shut to keep from choking on oil fumes. 85 feet of oil line, on a one pipe 3/8 line. Its a buderus 115 that maintains temperature, and it maintains the high limit!!!!! The previous home owner just shut it off when all the zones were warm. Who ever put this in should be forced to live in this place for a winter.

honestly, I would still run an 18/2 to each t-stat. Are all the zone valves in the boiler room? You could run a common 24V but the control is set up for individual wires and who knows, the next person to come in and look at it will thank you.

You could put an outdoor reset on the boiler, like a Tekmar.

Thanks for the reply. The thermostats all do have a 2 wire going to them, the zone valves are behind a panel up in a closet, this house was a hot water conversion from electric heat. The wires that fed the old zone valves are in bad shape, now that the house is finished I cannot get any more wires to the closet. Someone ran a 18-6 and never used it. I know it is not the perfect way to do it, but if it will work then it would save hacking into the wall, I have struck out trying to get a fish into the panel, they must have blocking in the walls. If it is possible it will save me from having to reuse some very brittle wire or ripping apart the master bedroom. I am just curious if anyone has done it. Thanks,
    John

That's different then. All the zone valves are in the same place and there is a 6 wire going to it. The only thing to look at is the current draw on one 18g wire. I think it can handle 3 zone valves as they are no more than 7watts ea but I would not do much more than that (is there 4 valves?)

I ended up getting another six wire up. Now I have two wires for each zone valve. Its still not perfect, but I am much happier with that. Thanks for the help.