Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ~L~ Guest
    Originally posted by jrbenny
    Originally posted by Jultzya
    My computer guy says it will reset everything, including the MAC addresses.

Is that correct?
    Yep. Back to factory defaults. It is cumbersome if you are doing MAC filtering.
    Mac filtering is not 100%

Wireless PDA's don't give a signature and your router can't stop them

Will they pass the WEP security?

Yep. Back to factory defaults. It is cumbersome if you are doing MAC filtering.
    That's the reason I haven't changed anything yet.

Even if you forget your password, it's not that hard to reinput you Mac address. I only have 2 that need entered. I didn't want to use the WEP security because if I had problems trying to get into the network is the problem I don't have it set up right or is the WEP keeping me out. With the Mac address it goes right through. Very simple. No hassle.

I have changed many settings and don't want to bother with it yet.

Will they pass the WEP security?
    Nope

~L~ Mac filtering is not 100%

It doesn't seem like anything is 100% effective anymore. But around here it's good enough to keep all of my neighbors out of my network. Let's face it why would anybody that is smart enough, want to hack into my network. There are so many people who have wireless networks without security that why would they bother with me.

I also use MAC filtering as I only have one wireless card to enter and I have that one memorized. I don't encrypt because I don't enter sensitive info on the laptop and don't really care if someone is packet sniffing my wireless web searches and yahoo chat. My router is a Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.0 running HyperWRT aftermarket firmware and being powered by an aftermarket switched mode 12V@1Amp wall wart. The funny part is that even when I had it wide open no one connected to it.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Security hasn't been a big issue, but I don't want someone snooping on my hard drive where we have bank and CC info. So, I enable the WEP.

My problem with the wireless is 2.4 GHz. Damn phones trip it and it won't work. I'm seriously considering 900 MHz phones.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

~L~ Guest
    I went with the 5.8 gig phones here and it cleared everything up.

Who used to say, "A lock is good for only one thing. To keep an honest person honest."

If they want in, they will get in and a PDA doesn't give off a signature. It will pass WeP

All of mine do

I like that swamp. Funny chit right there.

~L~ Guest
    Lake

There are 4, besides my own, that bounce off the lake. One new one in the past month.

I had never locked mine up before a few months ago. When I did there was a noticable speed difference in the evenings. The system seemed to be faster. Someone is pissed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12