Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    what size and btu is the old furnace and what size and btu is the proposed furnace .

Thank you for asking this question.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

While at first glance I understand most of my colleagues reactions and answers to this question. At second look I have to ask why does this contractor say the coil needs replacing? What are the sizes involved? Is the coil plugged or dirty? Is it too small and causing an airflow question or high static? What visual evidence or test readings does he have to support this? I have often recomended replacing a coil with the furnace if certain conditions exist. If I am installing a new furnace warrrantied through us, then I will test/engineer the airflow. If he is a carrier dealer then in reality I would not always expect him to quote a York coil or furnace. Since our company has recently dumped York products due to numerous warranty issues, we would not probably quote matching York stuff unless you ask either.

Question

The new coil was replaced in April 2011. There are so many number, I think this is the coil number HD48S3XH1H AN1C1864485. The Affinity AC is CZE03611B. Do you need the serial number for the new coil?

I'm just so confused with what to choose. Carrier CVA (80%), York TM8V or TM9V. Everyone gives such a different pitch.

I would choose the York, the TM8V would use your existing vent style and the TM9V will use two new pipes to the outside

These guys are right. While there are really good reasons to keep your coil if it's matched to the outdoor unit, there is no reason why that same matched coil shouldn't be used other than somoene wants to sell you something so that they can make a little more and potentially save some time on the install. Which works out gret for them if they get away with it.

This is when I would get that Carrier dealer to explain exactly why your coil isn't able to be re-used. If it's anything other than it's a mismatch to the outdoor unit then I would call up either your local Carrier distributor or Carrier corp and talk to someone about it. They can be pretty particular about their dealers and something like this might be of interest to the right people. I can tell you that due to a history poor installations and other issues that there are some former Carrier dealers out there.

If nobody complains then nobody else knows. I always suggest passing on the word when you are either completely satisfied or dissatisfied.
    Last edited by DarrinB; 12-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Looks like an ADP coil.

Still doesn't make sense to throw out a brand new coil and sell a different brand. Unless he can come up with a good reason, I would think it is just easier to slap a new cased coil above his furnace than make this one work.

You can post pictures of the current installation.

I had a couple of companies here that use Carrier products and called Carrier - they agreed with you about using the old coil. When I called the first company back and asked the salesman told me it would be "most" efficient to replace the coil but I could, certainly, use the old one...his reason he was "transitioning" me to Carrier for when that 4 year old York AC gives out.

Doing some checking I wonder about the York TM8V and TM9V which no-one mentioned.

In other words, he was trying to lock you into them as a customer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If the coil was damaged, plugged dirty or too small for the new furnace's airflow then I might see some reason to replace it. In absence of those reasons, I would tell the Carrier guy to take a hike. I would get some different estimates. Check with someone new perharps. That he would screw up a 4 yr old system to try and lock you in to them for the future failure???? Poor ethics. I would try to gain your loyalty to replace the AC when it fails buy doing the best job possible and then performing great maint/service of bolth appliances in the future to keep them bolth running right until it is time to replace. That 4 yr old could run for 5-10 yrs or more.

Quote Originally Posted by cking View Post
    I had a couple of companies here that use Carrier products and called Carrier - they agreed with you about using the old coil. When I called the first company back and asked the salesman told me it would be "most" efficient to replace the coil but I could, certainly, use the old one...his reason he was "transitioning" me to Carrier for when that 4 year old York AC gives out.

Doing some checking I wonder about the York TM8V and TM9V which no-one mentioned.
    Post # 17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12