Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat pump in heat mode?

Our heat pump just got installed and when in heat mode it is leaking alot of water around the condencer. Is this normal the pad around the unit is wet all around and the contractor that installed it said this is normal. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal

Quote Originally Posted by rcarpenter02 View Post
    Our heat pump just got installed and when in heat mode it is leaking alot of water around the condencer. Is this normal the pad around the unit is wet all around and the contractor that installed it said this is normal. Is this normal?
    When it goes into defrost it will produce water from the coil and should be elevated off of the pad

and frosting of the outdoor unit is normal also

I don't think it is in defrost nothing was frozen. It is on a pad but the pad and the ground around the pad is wet. Real wet. We have never had a heat pump before so I was just wondering.

I don't think it is in defrost nothing was frozen. It is on a pad but the pad and the ground around the pad is wet. Real wet. We have never had a heat pump before so I was just wondering.
    Depending on the size of your HP I would guess about a pint during defrost.

3 ton would it be in defrost when its not real cold?

3 ton would it be in defrost when its not real cold?
    Unless you watch your outdoor unit run for some time, you probably just caught seeing all the water after a defrost cycle.

Depending on what type of defrost system your heat pump has, it can either be defrosting on a timed basis, or defrosting only when it needs to (known as "demand defrost"). The timed basis is rather old school; most manufacturers have gone to demand defrost systems for energy efficiency reasons.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The system got installed and when we checked on it we saw the water and called the company and they said when it rans on heat mode it does that. I hope he telling us the truth.

Exclamation

[QUOTE=kdean1;11902522]QUOTE]

kdean1, This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted.

The system got installed and when we checked on it we saw the water and called the company and they said when it rans on heat mode it does that. I hope he telling us the truth.
    Defrost melts frost off the outdoor coil....I'll send ya pictures of my wet pad if you want.

yes water is normal
    defrost mode will cause a lot of water and also when it is running normal the coil can collect water and it drains off
    you may also when it comes out of defrost see steam blow out of it and you will swear it is smoking but this also in normal
    relax and enjoy the comfort of your new system

kdean1

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast