+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxy/Acetylene setups

Post Likes

Oxy/Acetylene setups

For those of you who use Oxy/Acetylene setups for brazing, What do you set your pressures on and what size tips are you using for typical residential work? Lately, Ive been having trouble with my torches. I'm not sure if its related to the things I have asked or if I may have something in my tip (which came with the torch set). I'm looking for a new tip but rite now I use a #3 Harris tip and set my Acetylene on about 5 psi and oxygen at about 7 psi (both psi's are under draw. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Don't know about Harris tip sizes. I mostly use a #2 Turbo Torch oxy/acetylene tip. Handles anything up to 7/8" OD. I set mine where they read 3-5psig acet. 5-7psig oxy. I go more by the flame than I do the pressure setting.

Post Likes
    As do I but just wanted to see what some others use as their general setup. I think I may have got some brazing alloy in my tip. Torches are giving me the blues no matter how I try to adjust my flame. If I get it neutral it wants to snuff out or the acetylene wants to "jump" back onto the tip. I then have to close my oxygen, readjust my acetylene and then readjust my Oxy. But it does this rite as I get my joint heated up so I have to stop as I should be applying my braze. This made for a really difficult replacement of an out door TXV today.

Post Likes
    #3 is a rather large tip, those psi sure aren't helping your cause, especially if you have an MC & B tank.

once tried using a #4 with my small tanks- jacked the psi up and couldn't keep tanks from emptying quick
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    #3 is a rather large tip, those psi sure aren't helping your cause, especially if you have an MC & B tank.

once tried using a #4 with my small tanks- jacked the psi up and couldn't keep tanks from emptying quick
    I use both in MC and that is the other problem, I empty my acetylene tank rapidly which I figured is because of my tip size. I'm going to look for a 1 or 2 tip.

Post Likes
    I use standard #2.
    My pressures are at about 8psig and 12psig.
    Make sure you are heating up the coupler enough.
    Also keep in mind the weld is on the inside of the coupler, not the very end that the other pipe slips into. Wherever you point the flame is where the copper will go.
    just because there is a huge glop of solder on the end doesn't make it anymore sealed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron223 View Post
    I use both in MC and that is the other problem, I empty my acetylene tank rapidly which I figured is because of my tip size. I'm going to look for a 1 or 2 tip.
    I'll go through 2 MC's to one R, or somewhere around that. Depends on how full the cylinders are from the gas supplier.

Post Likes
    I use a #2 from 3/8"-3/4", Rosebud for anything larger, #0 for cap tube-1/4" and coil/utube repair. I couldn't tell you the pressures as I adjust by the flame.
    If you think you have some debris in the tip, some 18 guage solid wire should be able to clear the tip for you.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    i have a uniweld setup with a MCR 6000 and a #0 tip. both are set with gauge open 5-6psi act and 8-10psi oxy.

Post Likes
    I go with 7 (acetylene) and 11 (oxygen). 7-11 is easy to remember. #2 tip.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    I go with the 7-11 and a #2 tip also.

Post Likes
    I set act at 5psi oxy at 10psi use #0 keep #2 for commercial your gas supplier has chart for sizing tip size for dia of pipe .

Post Likes
    7 and 10 is What is recommended for the uniweld #17 works great guzzles fuel. Most tip MFRS have recomended settings for thier tips

Post Likes
    I set act at 5psi oxy at 10psi and use #2
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Post Likes
    Check out the Cap'n Hook tips for TXV's and reversing valves. For most brazing I like a B tank with a turbo torch acetylene and air. www.uniweld.com click products, click tips, click specialty tips. Also click air-fuel equipment.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Has anyone seen this video available at http://www.solderingbrazing.com/ ?

or has been through a training session with Carl Pollex?

Looks like it is a very comprehensive video. Would like feedback though before deciding to purchase.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    Check out the Cap'n Hook tips for TXV's and reversing valves. For most brazing I like a B tank with a turbo torch acetylene and air. www.uniweld.com click products, click tips, click specialty tips. Also click air-fuel equipment.
    nice, bookmarked. TY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in