Valve core removal troubles

It seems as if it should be so easy but never seems to go that way for me. I have two YJ valve core service tools. Whenever I try to remove the cores (under pressure) for recovery, etc. they seldom actually come out. I ensure I'm on the core before tightening my tool. Then I back the core out and continue several turns after I feel the pressure pushing it out. After closing the valve and removing the core tool.... usually its loose but doesn't come out. I'll try to use the pressure to blow it out which only works sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? These seems like it should be pretty straight forward but isn't so for me. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Maybe the access valves are boogered up. I've run across some that the only way to get the cores out was with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then you'd play Hell getting a new one in.

If I had a nickle for every core I sent shooting across the lawn, past my face, or my hand i'd be a wealthy man. Happens to the best of us, don't sweat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

And that sums up my typical experience with valve cores. This became a big problem after doing a triple vac the other day to find the core was leaking and ruined my entire vac process when attempting to pull for the third time (put cores in under nitro pressure after second time).

just put a valve extension on it if you have the room.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I use the YJs also. Your gasket could be getting squished, thus making the core hang up on the gasket. That's what happened to me anyway. I was using standard hose gaskets, too thick... Had to order some of those thin VCRT gaskets.

They're generally a PIA, so I quit pulling cores on systems less than 5 tons or so, unless they're really easy to get out.

I guess I can't say I've had too many problems. Once in a while, but not very often. I use a C&D tool (part # CD3930). Will your removal tool hold a core in it? IOW, can you place a core in it and tip it vertical with the core pointing down without the core falling out? If not, you might try squeezing the two "prongs" on the end of the removal tool together slightly.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

the only time ive had that problem was when previously there
    had been a brass cap that had been overtightened & crushed
    the flare slightly. if that is the case i install one of the solder
    on saddle taps & then procede with the repair.