Thread: Rollout Switch

Rollout Switch

Has anyone had an issue with the new ICP Comfortmaker C9MPV gas furnace rollout switch that is on the right side of the burner box keeps tripping. New construction install of furnace and 1 out of 5 of these furnaces that my company has installed seems to have this issue.I have checked exhaust,intake, gas pressure, cfm,static pressure, clocked the gas meter, etc. The only thing that has worked is replacing the entire furnace and problem is solved. Can you please weigh in or make some suggestions other than having to replace an entire furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by iszell View Post
    The only thing that has worked is replacing the entire furnace and problem is solved.
    We have installed 1-3 a day for the last year and have not had any issues that you speak of.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Has anyone had an issue with the new ICP Comfortmaker C9MPV gas furnace rollout switch that is on the right side of the burner box keeps tripping. New construction install of furnace and 1 out of 5 of these furnaces that my company has installed seems to have this issue.I have checked exhaust,intake, gas pressure, cfm,static pressure, clocked the gas meter, etc. The only thing that has worked is replacing the entire furnace and problem is solved. Can you please weigh in or make some suggestions other than having to replace an entire furnace.
    What position are the installs?

do u have a return air leak on that side of the furnace? and when you replace the furnace u seal it up not knowing and the problem goes away. are these 80's or 90's? have u put a CA on them?

The furnaces are installed in the attic, upflow, 90+, Duct supply system is a plenum that branch off to triangle duct board that branches off to rooms etc, 2 central returns that come off both sides of the furnace, no RA BOX. We use duct mastic to seal connections, and our install team goes over board with that stuff. I used a fieldpiece CA which was not very useful, so I convinced the company to get CA and we now have the tpi 709 CA for every tech. As of this post the CA have not been used on any of these furnaces yet.

Contact your ICP rep to tell you how to clean the oil out of the secondary heat exchanger.

Contacted ICP before we started replacing the furnace for tech support and we learned that the secondary heat exchanger has an oil in it and the furmace needs to be ran atleast for 30mins to burn off the oil. I have seen some of these furnaces that wasnt started up correctly and the oil in the secondary HX turned into this thick greasy substance that took a considerable amount of cleaning and afterwards no problem with the furnace. However when this happened the high limit tripped not the rollout swith.

smoke them out on startup
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Contacted ICP before we started replacing the furnace for tech support and we learned that the secondary heat exchanger has an oil in it and the furmace needs to be ran atleast for 30mins to burn off the oil. I have seen some of these furnaces that wasnt started up correctly and the oil in the secondary HX turned into this thick greasy substance that took a considerable amount of cleaning and afterwards no problem with the furnace. However when this happened the high limit tripped not the rollout swith.
    No, it's the rollout switch. A restricted hx doesn't allow for a proper draft, so it rolls out.

Make sure the burners are properly aligned with the heat exchanger inlet holes. Every so often you may get a furnace or rooftop that they are slightly off and the flame is licking the edge of the HX burner hole and over heats the chamber tripping the roll outs.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Make sure the burners are properly aligned with the heat exchanger inlet holes. Every so often you may get a furnace or rooftop that they are slightly off and the flame is licking the edge of the HX burner hole and over heats the chamber tripping the roll outs.
    ^** its things like this that make me love this site! I still consider myself green and have seen this on many a furnace. since it seems that the phrase "this is normal" is thrown around so much I am glad that I have an answer as to the reason the flames are licking the side of the burner box when the unit is not that old. now I will attempt to correct some of these!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    No, it's the rollout switch. A restricted hx doesn't allow for a proper draft, so it rolls out.
    ^** oh and these too! (although I kinda new that in the back of my mind!)