Quantum physics anyone?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    These are the 5 main ideas represented by quantum theory:

1. Energy is not continuous, but comes in small but discrete units.

2. The elementary particles behave both like particles and like waves.

3. The movement of these particles is inherently random.

4. It is physically impossible to know both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time. The more precisely one is known, the less precise the measurement of the other is.

5. The atomic world is nothing like the world we live in.

This is taken off the web, however, I have read a few books on the subject and find it to be very intregueing.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Dude,..I seen this post and have been trying to get here and reply, but I was busy figuring out how to go to Austraila and pillage their supply of women.

I am a Pysics enthousiaest too, I live minutes from Fermilab, in fact, I grew up there and worked there a while.

I have read many books on the subject, my favorites are "The Elegant Univerce" Brian Green and "The God Particle" Leon Ledderman.

Particles that behave like waves,.. are you familiare with the double slit experament? There is another fact about Quantum theory that is even more weird and thats the sum over histories idea,.. now that has implications that are very profound if you really think about it.

The one thing that I think people dont realize is that Physics is our reality, the mathmaticle laws that describe what everythings is and means. We have Quantume mechanics that describes the micro world and we have general relitivity that describs the terestrial world, and we are in the process of connecting the two in "grand Unification". This is increadibly important because it will give us our understanding of everything. It is, however, a monumental task that will change our understanding of the univerce profoundly, ie String Theory.

I actually posted some compelling ideas about physics in ARP, I'll look it up and link it here...

Here... from my post on is the only relivant material to read...

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...&pagenumber=53

I believe Physics to be infinite and thus can never be fully defined or explained. If physics were finite, the mathamatical paradox could not exist.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

not smart enough for quantum physics, used to really like the tv show quantum leap. does that count?

Originally posted by frozensolid
    I believe Physics to be infinite and thus can never be fully defined or explained. If physics were finite, the mathamatical paradox could not exist.
    OK,.. so your belive "Physics" to be "infinite", as in what?

I would asume that statment to mean that physics or the science of phsics can describe an infinie amount of our reality. Well, this statment in some respects, is true in that the science of physics has explained a great deal of seemingly unknowable aspects of our reality.

Now, the statment that "if physics were finite, the mathmatical paradox could not exist", makes no sence. If you mean their is no paralell between mathmatics and physics, than this is a false statment. The statment that physics is infinite and that if it were not, then it would contradict the fact that mathmatics is an infinite language that describes our reality, then that would be true.

The statment that physics can never be defined or explained, is false in that I asume you are saying we humans are incapable of grasping the "Theory of Everything" as it would be described by the mathmatical language of physics. I say we can and we will, it is hapening as we speak. I think that anytime it is said we are incapable of "this or that", it is the hight of human ignorance and dissmisive of the challenge that drives so many of us.

Originally posted by t527ed
    not smart enough for quantum physics, used to really like the tv show quantum leap. does that count?
    Good enough for me,.. hell, I learned my early American history from the movie "The Patriot" with Mell Gibson.

Quantum physics

Are finally showing that all mass is nothing more than energy in a constant state of flux.

Originally posted by John(Chicago)
    and we are in the process of connecting the two in "grand Unification". This is increadibly important because it will give us our understanding of everything.
    Yes, but Einstein thought he was close to his unified field theory also.

I am with you here though bro,
    IMO Feynman was da' man!

[Edited by x-wrenchturner on 02-25-2006 at 03:26 PM]
    IlovemyjobIlovemyjobIlovemyjob....say it with me now!

Originally posted by x-wrenchturner
    Originally posted by John(Chicago)
    and we are in the process of connecting the two in "grand Unification". This is increadibly important because it will give us our understanding of everything.
    Yes, but Einstein thought he was close to his unified field theory also.

I am with you here though bro,
    IMO Feynman was da' man!

[Edited by x-wrenchturner on 02-25-2006 at 03:26 PM]
    To me, they are already connected. I read a great analogy; think of the human body as if it were our understanding of physics. Think of our body as the physics of the terestrial world (general relitivity) and think of the cells of the body as the physics of the micro world (quantum mechanics). Think of this picture only the muscles that make our body do things are like black boxes though, because we cannot extrapolate how they work from the cellular level to the external level yet, though as you look at the two, you know they are one.

Einstein was a failure in that he could never accept the concept of "uncertainty" until it was too late. He had seperated himself from the rest of the physics community after his discovery of general relitivity and thus, was out of touch with the new discoveries of quantum theory that he would need to know in order to unify them. He was also cruely snubbed by the fact that our technology was such that we didnt even have the standard model yet nore were we close to having the technology in his usefull lifetime. We are now on the brink of building the accelerator capable of finding the force carrier of gravity witch should complete our standard model and perhaps solve one of the major stumbling blocks to unification.

But E=MC squared

Is solidly on track with the basis of Quantum theory.

you guys all sound really smart maybe you should go back to the basics,and learn how to spell.

Einstein was a failure in that he could never accept the concept of "uncertainty" until it was too late. He had seperated himself from the rest of the physics community after his discovery of general relitivity and thus, was out of touch with the new discoveries of quantum theory that he would need to know in order to unify them. He was also cruely snubbed by the fact that our technology was such that we didnt even have the standard model yet nore were we close to having the technology in his usefull lifetime. We are now on the brink of building the accelerator capable of finding the force carrier of gravity witch should complete our standard model and perhaps solve one of the major stumbling blocks to unification.

Failure? Maybe not:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hydrino/message/10672

Subject: Einstein & Popper on Heisenberg Uncertainty

Charles Bennet (IBM) has shown that we can know both polarizations
    exactly in EPR and therefore Einstein was right about his "Elements
    of Reality." Bennet calls this the EPR effect. It means that
    Heisenberg Uncertainty does not hold. Bennet has also shown that
    Heisenberg Uncertainty does not hold in teleportation.

Karl Popper came to the same conclusion as Bennet:
    "Thus the so-called 'paradox' of Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen is not
    a paradox but a valid argument, for it established just this: that
    we must ascribe to particles a precise position and momentum, which
    was denied by Bohr and his school (though it is admitted by Bopp)."

Popper on Heisenberg Uncertainty
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hydrino/message/10373

So we now know that:
    EINSTEIN HAS BEEN RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hydrino/message/9979

So we now know the answer to:
    Was Einstein Right?