Any Kold-Draft gurus out there? Looking for a very skilled tech or dealer.

Hi folks, I am trying desperately to acquire or convert a Kold-Draft machine to 230v / 50hz for use in a world class cocktail bar in Singapore. There is simply no substitute for KD ice for serious cocktail programs.

KD used to make these machines, but let their ETL export certificate expire and will not currently produce any for sale. That said, I believe they still sell the parts to service the 50hz machines. What I would like to do is buy a new or used 230v / 60hz machine and swap out the motor and handful of other parts that are 50hz specific.

I can export from anywhere in the US without a hassle -- the shipping and export paperwork is not a problem at all, nor is the importation to Singapore. Likewise, I do not need a warranty and am not concerned about servicing locally here -- our local techs are used to solving all kinds of machines from all over the world without factory training. I'm happy to pay my money and take my chances.

Any of you guys know someone that would convert a machine for me? Or sell me a new machine and convert it? Or even tell me what parts my local tech needs to swap out? I am more than willing to pay handsomely for this help.

Thanks!

I may be wrong but...

Most products today (I did not say all...) will run on 60 or 50 hz. Best thing to do is request a data sheet on the piece if equipment you are looking at buying and go from there. It is possible you may not have to convert or change anything.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Just buy a frequency drive.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

A much easier solution would be to buy the Hoshizaki IM series ice machine which is a Kold-Draft clone. This model is available, last I heard, in Asia and Europe but not North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-I-Am75 View Post
    Most products today (I did not say all...) will run on 60 or 50 hz. Best thing to do is request a data sheet on the piece if equipment you are looking at buying and go from there. It is possible you may not have to convert or change anything.
    if it's only marked 50 hertz, you may be lucky to operate for 60 seconds here in the states
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Again... I did not say all.

From what I have been reading about this subject since this thread has started, a 50 Hz appliance will run fine on 60 Hz. The problem comes in trying to run 60Hz appliances on 50Hz, as any transformers or wire wound items (resistors, motors, etc) will pull more amps and overheat. There is a whole mess to get into as far as why.. the coil inductance, the windings, how it is wound, the types of capacitors and resistors and motors used... but basically, in this case... what goes up.. won't come down.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..