Combustion Air Intake And Vent

I mainly do refrigeration, asked to look at a Carrier 58MCA00 furnace ,unit will go through the cycle, IDF ,pressure switch, HSI ,got 24v at the gas valve but valve won't open . So valve need to replace .While I am writing down the unit info , I notice the vent pipe and the intake pipe are connected together and vent through the roof . This can't be right . I don't work on heaters.What's the effect on the unit with piping like this ?

Quote Originally Posted by crazy eye View Post
    I mainly do refrigeration, asked to look at a Carrier 58MCA00 furnace ,unit will go through the cycle, IDF ,pressure switch, HSI ,got 24v at the gas valve but valve won't open . So valve need to replace .While I am writing down the unit info , I notice the vent pipe and the intake pipe are connected together and vent through the roof . This can't be right . I don't work on heaters.What's the effect on the unit with piping like this ?
    Never mind the unit, the short answer is occupant poisoning by exhaust gases. Unless it is a "concentric" vent (installed properly to code), any single pipe for exhaust and intake combined is plain wrong and absolutely dangerous and life threatening. The closest I could get for Carrier model 58MC information for you are the general instructions attached... Please look again and tell us all that "it ain't so"....

Note... Venting starts about page 21
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enb54; 12-07-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Add Note

sounds like its hooked to a concentric kit.