+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: screwdrivers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by refertecbd View Post
    Greenlee makes some nice screw drivers much like the Klein cushion grips but not as much $
    Your right they do but the Kleins are made in the USA and greenlee is made in Taiwan. I'll pay the extra dough..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I have to say that I'm getting more and more disappointed with Klien. The thing I liked more than the quality was the fact that almost all Klein tools were made in the U.S.A. Like they tell us at the union hall, "spend your money where you make your money." Many of the tools in our apprentice tool set were Kleins, and as I was already in the field and had previous experience with Klein, I was pleased as punch. Then a bunch of the apprentices in my class complained about the 11 in 1's slipping and the drives and bits falling out. Then a journeyman I worked with said all the grips on his started slipping and he's starting to question the quality. Now the soft grip on my latest 5/16 is wearing out unbelievably fast. I was interested in purchasing the new Klein ratcheting 10 in 1 that's on sale this month at Johnstone, and decided to read some reviews since it's a new tool before I tried it. Check out the reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32558-Ra.../dp/B005FQDHBI
    Made in Taiwan?!! Pretty disappointing. Even though Klein boasts about the "Made in the U.S.A., and no plans to outsource in the future." What the F Klein.
    I've already gone against my better judgment recently and bought some Made in Germany tools (Knipex Cobra pliers, looking at possibly NWS, also Wera), and damn those Germans make some good stuff. Hopefully Klein will get back to quality ASAP.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jw-lu597 View Post
    I have to say that I'm getting more and more disappointed with Klien. The thing I liked more than the quality was the fact that almost all Klein tools were made in the U.S.A. Like they tell us at the union hall, "spend your money where you make your money." Many of the tools in our apprentice tool set were Kleins, and as I was already in the field and had previous experience with Klein, I was pleased as punch. Then a bunch of the apprentices in my class complained about the 11 in 1's slipping and the drives and bits falling out. Then a journeyman I worked with said all the grips on his started slipping and he's starting to question the quality. Now the soft grip on my latest 5/16 is wearing out unbelievably fast. I was interested in purchasing the new Klein ratcheting 10 in 1 that's on sale this month at Johnstone, and decided to read some reviews since it's a new tool before I tried it. Check out the reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32558-Ra.../dp/B005FQDHBI
    Made in Taiwan?!! Pretty disappointing. Even though Klein boasts about the "Made in the U.S.A., and no plans to outsource in the future." What the F Klein.
    I've already gone against my better judgment recently and bought some Made in Germany tools (Knipex Cobra pliers, looking at possibly NWS, also Wera), and damn those Germans make some good stuff. Hopefully Klein will get back to quality ASAP.
    It is nice to see you make it a point to buy tools made in the USA. Keep up the good work. I wrote an email to Klein expressing my disappointment with what they were doing. If I can find it I will post it here. Apparently I was not the only one to right an email..

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    To whom it may concern:
    I have written many emails similar to this to other company's I have made purchases from. The replies I have received from such emails have been a disgrace in my opinion. I hope to say Klein tools will be different.
    Myself and coworkers have been purchasing Klein tools for as long as I can remember. We have been proud to say we support the American people and their jobs, as we use our Klein tools day in and out. Today I received a few "new" 6 in 1 type screwdrivers. While I have to admit I really like the idea of the extended reach etc. I am honestly furious that these are made over seas. Are you kidding me? The majority of tradesmen I know have no problem paying more for a QUALITY product made in the USA.. I will not however buy a Klein tool made in Taiwan. These are going back to the store. If I want a tool I don't trust I would go buy that. However, Klein separated themselves for years from other tool manufacturers by keeping tools made here in the states. I realize there are tools made here, however if history repeats itself, it is only a matter of time before all of it goes over seas to be cheaply made. I am writing to hopefully add to other Americans who are unhappy with the direction I see Klein is heading. IF more tools have a Taiwan or other label on them I will buy from another manufacturer that still makes tools here in the States. I hope you forward this to where it will make the most impact.

And their reply:

Thank you for your patronage of Klein Tools.

In August, Klein Tools introduced the new series of Multi-bit Screwdrivers designed from years of end-user feedback in the industry. These new heavy-duty, multi-function tools address the most common issues faced by users. These tools, from the tips of the drivers to the unmistakable Klein Cushion Grip handles, are conceived by Klein's US based product designers. In an effort to release the new Multi-bit products to market rapidly, we worked with a partner company who possesses the equipment to manufacture immediately. These products, like all products not currently manufactured in our plants, are being reviewed to move production into our own facilities here in the USA. Klein Tools is dedicated to manufacturing in our US plants, with other new products such as the Terminal Block Screwdriver (612-4) and Interchangeable Rapi-Driv(tm) driver (67100) manufactured in our Lincolnshire, IL and Rockford, MI plants. Klein Tools is proud to have never outsourced a job overseas. As an additional commitment to our "Made in USA" heritage, Klein Tools has recently opened a new manufacturing facility in Mansfield, Texas bringing our manufacturing and distribution footprint to nine locations in the US.

Klein Tools operates nine plants in the US:

o Skokie, IL makes grips, fish tapes, and other tools.
    o Lincolnshire, IL makes screwdrivers and nut drivers.
    o Roselle, IL manufactures wire strippers, pump pliers and adjustable wrenches.
    o Elk Grove Village, IL produces tool forgings of high quality, proprietary tool steel.
    o Mansfield, TX makes pliers.
    o Fort Smith, AR manufactures leather and canvas goods.
    o Bolivar, NY makes high quality scissors and other cutlery products.
    o Rockford, MI produces high quality plastic products.
    o Cedar Rapids, IA manages worldwide distribution.

Klein Tools de Mexico has operated a plant in Mexico City since 1970. This plant produces products for the Mexican and Central American markets. A few tools that are made here are sold in the US, like our knockout punches, but for the most part Mexican made products are consumed in Mexico.

Klein Tools does sell some products that are made in other countries to our quality standards. For the most part, these are items that are simply not produced in the US any more - a good example is electronic products like multimeters.

If you are concerned about the country of origin with regards to a specific item, please contact us and we'll be happy to advise.

Best regards,
    Bill

Post Likes
    No matter what BS they reply with the fact of the matter is the quality of their tools os declining. A friend of mine bought a multi bit screwdriver last week and the grip started peeling the first day he had it.. Looks like it will be knipex for me for awhile anyway..
    Im not sure who else makes insulated tools in the states..

BTW I wrote that email Christmas day when I opened the package my girlfriend gave me lol.. It was the thought that counts!

Post Likes
    Ill tell you what guys

Klein is still world class tools

Many of mine are 5 to 15 years old and still function perfectly

An offshore multi bit driver?

Aaahhh who cares, those are compromised designs anyway

I would like to see an adjustable wrench to beat a Klein

Except for Diamond which is no longer in business

Klein steel is as good as can be, considering the production numbers

Most techs I know dont take care of their tools and complain when they dont perform

All of my Klein stuff is American and they make an amazing variety of tools

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Ill tell you what guys

Not to split hairs here, but you're reinforcing my point. A Klein tool from 5 to 15 years ago probably is a better tool than a Klein in the package out at the supply house now. And that Klein in the package may be made overseas, of unknown or uncompromised quality control, from steel sourced from God-knows-where, if that's even still considered a Klein. I'm not saying Klein is garbage now, I'm just saying that a few others and myself are seeing a trend with Klein that we hope doesn't continue.

And as for Knipex and the other German tools I've seen, I think they're fantastic. But haven't the Germans heard of magnets!? I can't buy a nut driver that doesn't hold a screw.

Post Likes
    Klein is the way to go. I have numerous klein tools very high quality. Little more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    I'm a big fan of the knipex. Expensive but quality.

Post Likes
    I also like Knipex. I love my Bahco adjustable wrenches. I also like Gear Wrench Products, but i did get Proto Spline Reversing Combination Ratcheting Wrench set.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Ill tell you what guys

An offshore multi bit driver?

Aaahhh who cares, those are compromised designs anyway

I would like to see an adjustable wrench to beat a Klein

Except for Diamond which is no longer in business

Klein steel is as good as can be, considering the production numbers

Most techs I know dont take care of their tools and complain when they dont perform

I have an old 10" Diamond I'd send to you. When you adjust it to a fastener you can't back it off. Damned thing!

The Proto Click Stops are about as good as it gets for an adjustable wrench.

Post Likes
    Bahco adjustable wrench. They sell them at United refrigeration as NRP but still say Bahco on them.

Such as this
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Bahco-...-Standard-Grip

Post Likes
    I got tired of Klein screwdrivers wearing out, so I tried Pratr-Read made in USA tools, and have been very happy with them.

The engineering and features of some of the German brands has gotten beyond tempting though, so I'm looking at ordering a few more German made tools.

I got the Knipex bug some time ago, which got me to investigating other German made hand tools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    Bahco adjustable wrench. They sell them at United refrigeration as NRP but still say Bahco on them.

Such as this
    http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Bahco-...-Standard-Grip
    I use very seldom an adjustable wrench, I use instead the Knipex Pliers Wrenches. So much quicker.
    http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...8&groupID=1500

Post Likes
    So far I really like Weras.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    I use very seldom an adjustable wrench, I use instead the Knipex Pliers Wrenches. So much quicker.
    I have a pair of those. I highly recommend them. They grip nice and tight on the nut and don't slip.

Post Likes
    I like Vaco Bulldrivers and Snap-On tri grips

Post Likes
    Attachment 259291

A shot of the Snap-On tri grip for those who have not seen one.

Best screwdrivers ever! They give a lot of torque. Unfortunately , they have went to a square grip now but the steel is still great.

Pic courtesy of smart phone with tapatalk app , just had to try it out.

Post Likes
    Just bought a set of Wera's. They say made in the Republic of Czech. Looks like Germany is outsourcing. I do like them though but it's a little hard to try to figure out what size you're ordering when they're all in metric. Maybe they should come out with a chart to tell you which driver replaces the Klein one. I got the new, longer 11-in-1 Klein and it's quite evident where it's made. One of the bits won't fit in the tool when it's reversed
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    I've been interested in those. Lots of people rave about those in reviews. Do you find that you run into a lot of in between sizes where it doesn't grip tight enough? That's my only concern with them, since they're not truly a fully adjustable, and they're made in the land of metrics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in