Carrier 59MN7 "34-ignition fault"... normal?

Hey all - my recently-installed Carrier 59MN7 has been working great, my only complaint is the condensate pump is a bit on the loud side...

BUT: being the nosy geek that I am, I found my way into the Advanced menu (don't worry, I didn't mess with any settings except to turn on the programmable fan), and I noticed that in the couple of weeks it's been running I've had two faults listed - both "34-igntion fault".

Like I said, nothing "seems" to be wrong... could it be that these "just happen" from time to time? Wishful thinking, right?

Do I need to call the installer back out?

What might cause an ignition fault code to be set when the furnace seems to be working fine? Does it try again after a fault?

Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by tadc View Post
    Hey all - my recently-installed Carrier 59MN7 has been working great, my only complaint is the condensate pump is a bit on the loud side...

BUT: being the nosy geek that I am, I found my way into the Advanced menu (don't worry, I didn't mess with any settings except to turn on the programmable fan), and I noticed that in the couple of weeks it's been running I've had two faults listed - both "34-igntion fault".

Like I said, nothing "seems" to be wrong... could it be that these "just happen" from time to time? Wishful thinking, right?

Do I need to call the installer back out?

What might cause an ignition fault code to be set when the furnace seems to be working fine? Does it try again after a fault?

Thanks for any input.
    normal, it is learning the ignition algorithm

Good to know, thanks.

Any other spurious codes you can think of that are considered normal?

And any advice on quieting down the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by tadc View Post
    Good to know, thanks.

Any other spurious codes you can think of that are considered normal?

And any advice on quieting down the pump?
    What is the brand of pump?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    What is the brand of pump?
    Sorry for the slow reply.

It looks like I have a Diversitech CP-22 condensate pump.

Any thoughts on the relative noise level of this pump, and/or installation considerations that might make it more/less noisy?

Also I note that the Alarm terminal isn't connected. I assume that would go to some kind of buzzer to alert me if there's a fault with the pump?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    normal, it is learning the ignition algorithm
    So a while back I noticed the furnace running in high-fire when it probably shouldn't have been. I checked the status codes and saw "32-low pressure switch open" logged just a few minutes before.

At this point there are dozens of the ignition fault logged and maybe 6-8 of the low pressure code over the past several months.

So.. what exactly is the low pressure switch (not AC related, as I don't have AC!), and do I need to be concerned about this code happening occasionally?

Thanks as always for your expert opinions!

really, no ideas?

If you think there is an issue, it's time to call your contractor.

Are they dates and times on your stat when these accured?
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Call you contractor back and have him verify that the venting is sized and installed properly with no sags and proper slope back to the furnace. Is the vent termination near an inside or outside corner? I have seen some have issues with wind from a certain direction swirling around a corner and cause pressure switch issues.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Thanks for the replies.

Is the consensus still that the ignition faults are normal now that the furnace has had time to learn?

The stat records that the low pressure issue has occurred 8 times, most recently 2/13 at 6:34 AM. I checked the weather almanac and no unusual weather at that time... temps in the low 40s, light rain, max wind gust 10 MPH.

The vent pipes run about 6 feet diagonally up, then horizontally (with a noticeable "arch") about 10-12 feet out a side wall. It does vent into a space maybe 10-15 ft wide between mine and the neighbor's house (not near a corner though), so I guess it's possible some weird wind action could happen there.

Gasguy- I have family up in Courtenay/Comox, was just up there a couple weeks ago. Small world.

Thanks again for your input. I'll let you all know what the contractor has to say about it.