We've been installing Peerlees MI series boilers in residential applications for at least 4 years now and have found them very reliable except for one part - the flue draft damper. I've had 5 or 6 of these fail within the last year where either the damper blade itself gets hung up before opening 100% or the microswitch doesn't want to close when the damper does open without wiggling it around a bit. On one boiler even the replacement damper we installed failed. All of the venting was double checked in each instance and no problems were found. In every case the boilers were connected to properly sized chimney liners, had short length well pitched flue runs, no evidence of condensation and ample combustion air was present.

All the dampers that have failed are standard Effikal models ranging in size from 5" to 7". I've asked two of our suppliers that sell Peerless boilers if they have heard of anyone having problems with these dampers and they all swear that we're the only one - which I am now really finding hard to beleive. I'd hate to switch boilers just because of this damn damper, but we're really getting sick and tired of late night warranty calls to jiggle a damper. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced problems with Effikal dampers on any brand boiler?

Originally posted by mrg2333
    I've had 5 or 6 of these fail within the last year where either the damper blade itself gets hung up before opening 100% or the microswitch doesn't want to close when the damper does open without wiggling it around a bit.

All the dampers that have failed are standard Effikal models ranging in size from 5" to 7".

Is there anyone else out there who has experienced problems with Effikal dampers on any brand boiler?
    Go to the source on Warranty information ...
    technical at effikal dot com

If not satisfied, switch them out with the supplier.

Do It Right the 1st Time.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The reason for my post was to see if anyone else here has experienced this problem. Contacting effikal does not sound like a bad idea, but my experience has shown that manufacturers are usually not too upfront about admiting to their customers about higher than normal failure rates.

Peerless MI series boilers come pre-packaged with Effikal dampers. Asking the supplier to switch them out out would be simmilar to asking them to switch out the gas valve before delivery - they won't do it.

BTW, not sure what you meant by "Do It Right The 1st time", but every boiler that we have had a problem with the damper on was double checked for any installation problems (especially venting) and none were found. I just find it hard to beleive that we are the only contractor having problems with these dampers.