Confused

My builder of my townhouse is asking us to approve the location of the HVAC. We have 2 levels and a basement and they are requesting to place an HVAC on my 2 levels when my basement already has a "utility" room.
    Do I really need an Hvac on each level? Can't an HVAC in the basement serve my whole townhouse? Do these hvac's add to my ultimate utility bill? I would really like to save the space if possible and if it makes sense. My townhouse is small enough as it is.

Question YOUR Comfort

Originally posted by ejyoung
    asking us to approve the location of the HVAC.
    ... 2 levels and a basement and they are requesting to place an HVAC on my 2 levels when my basement already has a "utility" room.
    1. Do I really need an Hvac on each level?
    2. Can't an HVAC in the basement serve my whole townhouse?
    1. No.
    2. Yes, but is an 8'F temperature difference between basement and top level acceptable yo you?

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

need more info, floor plan and sq footage, there are so many factors... your builder doesnt have an engineer to figure this out ?????????????????

Thumbs up TWO + = Better

Originally posted by dave82323
    your builder doesnt have an engineer to figure this out ???????
    Dave,

You think it takes an engineer to determine the
    __# of units__
    that are needed?

It is quite obvious that
    TWO systems or
    one heatpump + zoning
    + dehumidifier
    (essentially TWO Systems for practical purposes)
    are needed.

The installation and operation are both enhanced
    with a minimum of two systems +
    dehumidifier for part load conditions.

One unit should be located in the basement
    in accordance with The Owner's request.

Of course, having one unit does NOT save an appreciable, if any, amount of space (or may actually increase the total volume) when one considers the unit sizes versus the added supply air ductwork needed to get from the basement to the second floor plus the returns.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Size

What is the sqf of each floor and what is the reason he would like two and not one unit. You have asked an open ended question and have provided little or no info t0 help

the conditioned air must get from the unit somehow, and not just by flowing up the stairs-
    buy a townhouse in the middle to have others condition the sidewalls! -- providing the construction is good enuf to stop most noise transfer.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Thanks everyone for the responses, its only 643 sq. feet per floor. I have 3 bedrooms on the top floor where they have proposed to put the hvac in one of the bedrooms. They proposed another hvac in the living room in the corner...

Duct Chase

Originally posted by ejyoung
    ..., its only 643 sq. feet per floor. I have 3 bedrooms on the top floor where they have proposed to put the hvac in one of the bedrooms. They proposed another hvac in the living room in the corner...
    K.I.S.S.

Locate a ~2.5 unit + dehumidifier + zoning dampers + controls in the basement utility room
    with ~18"x18" duct chase (8"x16" Supply & Return air ductS) through the pantry or closet on first floor if the diffusers will be mounted on the floor.

Townhouse will require something like
    FOUR 8" diameter (~ 150 CFM each) Supply Air ducts for each of the 643 S.F. floors.

Zoning :
    http://www.arzelzoning.com/whatiszoning.html

Dehumidifier:
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._dehumidifiers

Designer Dan

Living space

Do not give up living space unless you have to. Does he give a good reason for two units and two locations?