+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Layoffs, or Michigan, What a mess!

Post Likes
    The largest contractor in my area is laying off guys like it's going out of style. He laid off 5 guys tonite, and several guys last week.

I am working hard to keep everyone I have busy, it's pretty tough out there right now, but I have enough work so that everyone gets at least 40 hours and maybe a little OT.

What are the rest of you guys seeing?

[Edited by HeyBob on 02-21-2006 at 06:51 PM]

Post Likes
    Read the zoo posts.

Post Likes
    Here in SE Florida, I'm doing all I can "not" to get busy, meaning I have 8 guys, and they are tired, 60 hrs a week.
    Business is booming.
    Its got to the point that I am alot more choosey on the type of work I decide to do.

Post Likes
    Business used to boom here almost 24/7, but lately it only really goes nuts if it's 0 degrees or 95 degrees.

I had one guy quit and go to another company, I'm not looking to replace him anytime soon.

What does ARPA stand for? Nice site, you guys look like a huge company.

Post Likes
    Well guys, for the past couple of months I have been slow for equipment sales. Service has been moderate. Last week I accepted two post dated checks because their credit cards were maxed out. I talked to one my builders that does additions mostly 2 weeks ago and he said that he has got nothing on the calendar. So he went to Florida for a while. Im feelin the pinch and hope it fades come spring time.

Ed

Post Likes
    Ed,

When you go on a sales call, try and upsell. I can't give away an 80% single stage right now, but for some reason, I can sell 94% variable speeds like hot cakes.

All of the competition is only offering the el cheapo stuff, sell them on the benefits of the good stuff, the realize they want it and they go for it.

I think that's why I am holding my own right now.

Post Likes
    ARPA stands for the guy that pushed me into business. It is the last name of the manufacturing plant in Spain that makes field kitchens and sells them to the US goverment. I have the contract that provides service for these, worldwide, with 2 techs in Iraq, and 4 in the States, 2 in my shop.
    In doing this I also set up myself as a manufacturing rep for other companies. I do everything but sell the equipment, in Norht America. I have 3 major manufacturing plants that I rep right now in North America, with about 7 more in negotiations.
    And, in doing this, and thru my contacts here locally, I was asked to start an a/c division up. In three years, I went from me, to 8 techs and 2 installers, fulltime.
    As for people, I have 37 on my direct payroll right now, not counting others, such as lawyers, CPA, office help,. tech support help, etc, etc.
    The site you looked at is really only the tip of the iceberg. 3/4 of it is monitored and built/set up by the US Marines for those kitchens. There is alot more there than someone with out the proper credentials can actually see. I tacked on the ac and kitchen equipment sites myself.
    OK< 'nuff of that. Thanks for the compliment.

Post Likes
    I had a guy call me yesterday for an estimate. He wanted it it over the phone. I said no can do and that I would have to see the place. He said that he wants to get 5 estimates over the phone...WTF?

As far as 80s go, I dont even talk about them to the customer unless they ask or the application calls for an 80. With todays fuel costs, its hard to believe anyone would want an 80.

HeyBob, I sent in a dealer application to thermopride today. Worked on one a little while back and thought it was very nice. The rep told me the were comparable in price to lennox. We shall see.

[Edited by coolwhip on 02-21-2006 at 07:36 PM]

Post Likes
    lol i got 3 hours today west coast comerical we had 2 techs got told to stay home for 2 days last week kinda scary

Post Likes
    no one is doing nothing. I was in a few supply houses today and not only were they dead, they were explaining how business in most companies is slowing. Sales of equipment down. Lots of shops laying off.

I am a bit worried. Even my regular customers are asking me how business is in other accounts. But in the same breath, I got work. I have something. I got enough to keep my bills and paid and living. Nothing great. No major money deals. Nothing to write home about. Steady may be a bit strong of a word, but thats what I am at this point. I think for me, I am letting everyone else scare the hell out of me.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolwhip
    I had a guy call me yesterday for an estimate. He wanted it it over the phone. I said no can do and that I would have to see the place. He said that he wants to get 5 estimates over the phone...WTF?

As far as 80s go, I dont even talk about them to the customer unless they ask or the application calls for an 80. With todays fuel costs, its hard to believe anyone would want an 80.

HeyBob, I sent in a dealer application to thermopride today. Worked on one a little while back and thought it was very nice. The rep told me the were comparable in price to lennox. We shall see.

[Edited by coolwhip on 02-21-2006 at 07:36 PM]
    The guy that wants 5 estimates over the phone is worthless. he is only going to waste your time.

I have put in a ton of Thermopride oil furnaces, brutally heavy furnaces, but worth the $$$. Right now, I think an OH85 costs less than an O23 Lennox.

Post Likes
    Im sure you deal with the oil side em. Do you know of any issues with natural gas? Salesreps never mention the issues.

Post Likes
    General motors has everybody scared. Not much new construction goin on here. Thats been our bread and butter for a while. I was told it should be about a month and i'll be back to work.
    Hire Me....

Benny

Post Likes
    Hi Benny...Atleast we are suffering together.

Post Likes
    Yeah, its all good. I'm taking some classes the next few weeks and when i go back i'm jumping up to service dept. I'm excited.
    Hire Me....

Benny

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolwhip
    Im sure you deal with the oil side em. Do you know of any issues with natural gas? Salesreps never mention the issues.
    Never seen a gas fired Thermopride. They also make a Mobile home model, I bet that thing is so heavy you have to put an I beam under the trailer

Post Likes
    I've been in this business nearly 15 years and so far, every Spring has been somewhat slow... Is this year any worse than the last or the one before that?

It also depends somewhat on the work you do, when I did resi repairs Spring was murder, same with resi sales... Since I've been where I am now I make my own work and I'm busy. D4 is keeping pace while others are slow for the same reason... I'm thankful I have a boss who lets me run, otherwise I'd be sitting home.

Post Likes
    I guess I am hearing more gloom and doom than usual. It's normally slow this time of year and I am no exception.........

It's just that there seems to be a lot more of it (gloom and doom) this year than usual.

Post Likes
    They can't stop building around here. Whether it's new commercial buildings, homes, or homes being torn down to build another home on the lot.

I've been working Saturdays for about eight months straight now...with exceptions to holidays and Christmas vacation. Even worked a couple Sundays. No less than 48 hours a week. The boss said we have a ton of work coming up. I'm single with no kids, so I don't mind working as much as I can.
    Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    We finally got down to low teens we've had a mild winter I'm sure that hasn't helped.
    Hire Me....

Benny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in